We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides in Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Guides in Jerusalem

I'm thinking a guide might be a good idea in Jerusalem to be sure not to miss things. Cam anyone recommend a guide that speaks English. What would I expect to pay for the guide? I also would like to visit Bethlehem, any suggestions for getting there?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,758 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

To get to Bethlehem go to the Damascus gate and take a bus or taxi from there.

Labbat have used and recommended Madelene Lavin (Levin?). Search the forum for her. You can also take tours with Zion Walking Tours. The office is in front of the Jaffa gate, near a very nice restaurant "The Armenian Tavern".

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

As Shoshi notes, my strong recommendation for a Jerusalem guide is Madeleine Lavine, who served for many years on the staff of the Jerusalem International YMCA before taking up full-time guiding. She is knowledgeable, very pleasant, professional, and has a delightful, British sense of humor (she is originally from Leeds). Madeleine offers a wide range of tours; in 2006, we took a fascinating “Europe in Jerusalem” tour that looked at the influx of European institutions in the city in the last half of the 19th Century. This past May, she put together an eclectic tour of sites in the site I had never seen, and some of which I never even knew about. Even though I have been to Jerusalem nine times and explored seemingly everywhere, she consistently shows me aspects of the city that are completely new to me. She also offers individual or group Four Quarters tours, tours of the Mount of Olives and the Old City, and just about anything you can imagine. I cannot speak highly enough of her. You can reach her at madl@zahav.net.il, or at (02) 678-0058 (home) or (054) 450-4098 (cell).

As for Bethlehem, you can do that via Arab taxi from the Old City, or if you'd like a reasonably-priced Arab guide to help you with that, I can refer you to Sam Salem. You can reach Sam at (054) 216-8441 or at guide.holy@gmail.com.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

connecticut
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

It's a great idea to have a guide when you tour in Jerusalem since the city is small but really full of important sites and there are always new things being unearthed (literally!). We traveled with Avitours in May and had Avinoam as our guide. He was fantastic! We learned so much and found him to be very personable, funny and well informed. We found him through friends of ours who had used his company before when they'd traveled to Israel with their family. I recommend Avitours very highly. Have a great time in Israel!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

Look for "guide" in past posts using the little window above yours and you'll find many recommendations for guides of all sorts.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
83 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

I heartily endorse Madeleine. She worked her tail off for us and made the most out of our day, and graciously accomodated our special needs.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

We just returned from two weeks in Israel and Jordan. It was absolutely wonderful.

We spent two days with Sam Salem, who guided us in Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Sam had been recommended through Douglas Duckett's personal travel guide (which I highly recommend you getting...just e-mail him). We were a group of five and Sam arranged travel for us from Jerusalem to Bethlehem. The driver was great and offered a lot of information about Bethlehem since he was from there. Sam also grew up in Bethlehem so it was unique to hear from him. After our tour, Sam walked us through the old town of Bethlehem to a wonderful little restaurant where he joined us for dinner. My family really enjoyed hearing about his life and experiences. Sam is a member of the Christian community living in Israel and as Christians it was really interesting for us to hear from him.

The next day, Sam arranged for us to visit the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa mosque. This was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was hard to totally take in/comprehend as we were walking around the Temple Mount and inside the mosques the significance of what we were looking at. My whole family was awestruck by the experience. After our tour, Sam showed us the Pool of Bethesda, the Garden of Gethsemane, the Church of the Nations, the Mt. of Olives, etc...

We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Sam. He is extremely knowledgeable about the history of locations and their significance to people of various faiths, and he is an expert communicator (he speaks five langauges). He is also extremely kind and I believe we have made a friend for life in him.

I truly can't recommend him enough! He can be reached at guide.holy@gmail.com.

PS We paid about $400 total for the two days.

new york
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

Hi,

I spent a week in Jerusalem over the summer and had a wonderful experience with Sam Gorenstain. His English is excellent and knowledge fantastic. He did a private tour for our group of about 15 and charged around $350. per day. His email is samgorenstain@yahoo.com. Sorry I can't help you with a guide to Bethelem. Couldn't do everything on our last visit. Good luck with your plans.

Anne

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

Thanks for adding another option, Anne. It's great to have a number of names listed.

Douglas Duckett

Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

I'm in contact with them about booking a tour, good to hear you had a good experience with them...so many to choose from.

Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guides in Jerusalem

Do you know if Sam can also provide transportation from Haifa to Jerusalem?