We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

I have emailed the Kotel Tunnels administration at www.english.thekotel.org/VisitorInfo.asp?id=1 several times in the last couple of weeks trying to make reservations for July 2009. So far I have not heard back from anyone. Does anyone know of a better address to make advance reservations?

Thanks.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

It is better to call than email. There is a phone number on the website. Alternatively, since July is a ways off--give them a few more weeks before calling. --when you call don't forget the 7 hour time difference and the fact that the office will either close early on Friday--or not open at all. And Sunday is a regular workday--so you could call then.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
83 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

I think there was a limit of three months in advance- you may have to try in April or May. They responded quite well to my emails directed to the website address.

And yes, the tunnel tour is worth any hassle you go through to book; it is one of the most mandatory sites in Israel.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

Just phoned them. For August, the registration begins on March 1. They said it is better to email than to use the phone number in NY that is on their website. Also, more convenient for you because of the time difference.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

Applenut- Thanks for your informed suggestion. It makes a lot of sense. One of my favorite spots in Turkey was the cistern in Istanbul. I had assumed that the Kotel Tunnels would have a similar appeal.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

I went to both - they are both very evocative but in a very different way.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

In May 08, I made arrangements through Zion Walking Tours to tour the Kotel Tunnels. They take care of all the arrangements. It was an excellent tour!

Dubai
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

How interesting would the tunnels be to children 9 and 12, vs catching the highlights of the area from the outside?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

If the children are familiar with Jewish history it might be interesting, but too long. Also it is all underground and kids might not be at ease with it.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

I've taken the tunnel tours many times and frequently there are children present. They all seem to enjoy it. Although underground most of the areas are large and the underground feeling is no more obvious than when riding a subway--or being on the underground level of a shopping mall. I think it is more than appropriate for kids.

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting the Kotel Tunnels

I arranged a tour by email with the above website. I got a reply within a day or two for a May reservation. I even had to change the day and time and it was quickly confirmed by email.