We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

Hello eveybody,

I'm so glad I've surfed into this forum. It's so resourceful! Thank you everybody! :)

I'll be flying with El Al to Israel and am trying to decide whether I should bring my laptop with me or not with the tight security situation. Your comments are weldome and thank you in advance. :)

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

You can still bring your laptop if you would like, no problems. They might look at it but they will not disallow it.

Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

Laptop should pose no problems - loads of people travel with laptops be it for business or leisure and wi-fi is available in most hotels and many cafes and restaurants in Israel.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

Flying with the laptop isn't an issue, but whether bringing it is worth the trouble of carrying it might be. That has to be up to you. I like to pack very light when I travel, and since I wouldn't want to carry a laptop around while I sightsee, that would mean leaving it in the hotel room, and I never like to take valuables that won't fit in the safe.

I'm actually in Jerusalem right now, typing this from an internet cafe. I'd rather spend 5 NIS a day to check my e-mail for a few minutes than haul a laptop around, but my dad wouldn't go anywhere without his. That part has to be up to you.

Have a great trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

It depends on how you use your computer.

Most people don't realize how much information is left on a computer when you use it. Passwords, web sites, e-mail accounts are all often stored in history files. When you use a public computer, you leave more information behind then you might think.

It's also easy to install a keystroke recorder that will record everything you type while you use a computer. Even if the management of an internet cafe is honest, someone who comes in and uses their computers might not be.

For this reason, I'm very circumspect about using public computers. I never use them for my main e-mail accounts, nor for accessing bank accounts - anything financial.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

If I knew I wasn't going to have wi-fi in my hotel I probably wouldn't bother, but, I love the convenience of my own computer and many of the hotels do have wi-fi (and free in some cases!)......

So, it is your decision to make. The airline isn't going to keep you from bringing along your laptop.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,327 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

I havent' found a hotel in Jeruslaem with free wifi--and the computers in the business center, while more expensive than a cafe are cheaper than their wi-fi. There are however, many cafes etc. that DO have free wif-fi.

Personally, I agree with the person who said, if it doesnt' fit in the safe, it isn't a good idea to bring it. Now, I have never heard of stuff being stolen from a hotel room--but I am also sure it does happen on occassion

Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

You could use one of those key and cable locks and attach your laptop to something immovable in your hotel room. My concern is leaving it locked up in the van while we travel from one hotel to the next (ie., Jerusalem to the Galilee) and stop to sightsee along the way. Even is it is out of sight. Souns like there thave been problems, especiallyat Cesarea.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

I just replaced my old travel laptop with a new tiny Toshiba Portege -- 3.5 lbs, and I LOVE IT!! I have a neoprene sleeve for it, and can stuff it in a big pocketbook. Between photos, blogs, checking times and reservations and getting tips here, I would never travel without one again.

In the past my tiny old one was never used except for travel, but this new one has become my everything -- so before it goes overseas, for security reasons I'll back up all files, have my computer guy clean it out totally, and reload only the programs I really need for travel

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

When I am abroad I want to be able to send and read e-mails, use skype to speak with my family and get the news. All these without carrying a heavy laptop. I fulfilled all these wishes exactly a year ago by purchasing the small Asus eee PC. It weighs 2 lb. (1 kg) is small in size and has all the features I needed built in. I paid 350 dollars in January 2008. It probably costs less now. I was a little concerned because it operates on Lynox not on Windows. But found that it to be almost the same. A real pleasure!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I bother to bring my laptop with me?

dont worry about wifi....

I live here :)

and I dont have any special connection to the web.

almost everywhere I go with my laptop, I can find internet....

wrost case scenario.... walk 20 meters to a wifi connection...