We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jerusalem to masada-car rental question

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
jerusalem to masada-car rental question

I am interested in renting a car for the day to go from Jerusalem to Masada/Ein Gedi, but I have a few questions.

Is it easy to get from the Dan Panorama to one of the car rental places(I think the closest ones are on King David street).

After I have the car(assuming from king david st.), what is it like getting out and back into this part of the city?

Other that a U.S. drivers license, do I need anything else?

Finally, I noticed that some of the car rental places close at 5pm. Does this mean that I will have a problem returning the car after my day trip?

Thank you,

Marshall

Magooshala
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jerusalem to masada-car rental question

"Other that a U.S. drivers license, do I need anything else?" According to the Eldan website you need to be at least 24 years old, must posses a clean pictured driver's license, valid for a least two years and must hold a valid passport. Eldan is a very popular car rental an is located on King David. http://www.eldan.co.il/en/index.aspx

"Finally, I noticed that some of the car rental places close at 5pm. Does this mean that I will have a problem returning the car after my day trip?" If you get back to Jerusalem after the agency closes you'll have to find a parking facility to park the car for the night and return it the next day - paying for parking and an additional day of rental.

"After I have the car(assuming from king david st.), what is it like getting out and back into this part of the city?" Yes, I would also appreciate an answer to this very good question!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,753 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jerusalem to masada-car rental question

Renting for a day means 24 hours, so you pay only for 1 day. Parking on the streets is free after 1900 till 0900 the day after.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jerusalem to masada-car rental question

Eldan, as stated, is conveniently nearby and a good choice. It's not too difficult to get out of town and down to Masada. Head north from where you get the car (by the King David on David HaMelech, and you will get to the route 60, then to the route 1 (east) and eventually to the route 90 (south). Its a well travelled and safe route.

When returning you follow the signs for the city centre.

As you can see, i am not a Jerusalemite, and I managed it!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,081 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jerusalem to masada-car rental question

Eldan is around the corner ( almost) from the Dan Panorama. Walk out of the hotel, turn left onto Mapu and walk back one block to King David. Turn left on King David and walk appriox. 2 blocks ( past the Y) to Eldan!

As someone else said, your day is 24hours. Don't worry about what time you get back--you can return the car the following AM. The Dan Panorama has a very large, self park garage facility that is no charge for guests!

It is not difficult getting out of the city. I am not sure how to direct you out. ( Eldan or the front desk at the Dan will help you--since I am not sure of traffic restrictions for that direction) BUT returning means coming in, past the old city and making a right onto the street the Dan Panorama is on. ( by the KIng sheraton) and continuing up the block to make a right into their garage!

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jerusalem to masada-car rental question

As mentioned, you have 24 hours, so you don't need to rush back to bring the car in before they close. Eldan actually give you an extra hour at the end, so really not a problem.

Shoshi - in Jerusalem, you start paying for on-street parking from 8:00, not 9:00. Also, in some parts of the city, on-street parking is not allowed at all, or only from a lot later. We received a parking ticket not long ago in one of the small streets off Emek Refaim at 21:30 on Saturday night !!

new jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: jerusalem to masada-car rental question

Thank you to everyone

7. Re: jerusalem to masada-car rental question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 04:17