We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Bakeries & Candy Shops?

We just returned from our amazing visit to more than amazing Israel and we returned wondering why we came across so few bakeries or candy shops. Yes there were the numerous stalls in the markets and old city with fly covered cookies and honey soaked treats, but we were expecting to find a bakery or two along with specialty candy stores outside the old city with higher quality product. We did find a candy store on Salah ed-Din Street in East Jerusalem with some items from Syria that we enjoyed and bought for office gifts. Also, on the same street we found a shop with baked goods, but again all items were exposed to the open air, bugs and auto exhaust. We came across cafes with desserts (cheese cake, pie, etc.) but we never found a local bakery store.

Not trying to make a big deal of things with this post. Just stating our experience and wondering if we missed something. We travel a lot and always enjoy finding bakeries and candy stores to experience local treats and we just did not find the typical store/shop setting we find elsewhere. We did buy, ate and enjoyed various cookies, baklava, and other sweet treats while in the old city, markets, etc. We just expected to find shops as we explored the streets of the city. Did we miss something?

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

There are bakeries in Israel. Too bad you didn't inquire on thr TA board, you could have gotten some suggestions. There are great baked goods stalls in the Mahane Yehudah market, and great places to buy rugelach (mmmmmmmmmmmm....).

And there are candy shops with large bins of pay-by-the-kilo goods in every shopping mall.

There are also French-style patisseries, but there are fewer of these and harder to locate by chance.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Bakeries tend to disappear from all city centers, as rentals hike. But there are bakeries and candy shops, some rather good and some boutique ones which can keep up with the rentals. Next time you come, ask. We'll give you great addresses.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Sounds like a good visit to plan another trip to Israel!!

For starters, the chain of Cafe Aroma generally has a good assortment of pastries and such. They also have a nice assortment of sandwiches and coffees.

One of my regular stops ison Emek Refaim in the German Colony, Tal Bagels. This is my regular breakfast stop when I'm in Israel as it's on the way to the cllinic. They have a large assortment of bagels and all things associated with bagels.

Rurther down that street there is another pastry shop which has a huge selection of goodies, don't remember the name though.

On Derech Azzza, right down the street from Resto Bar there is a small shop with the most incredible cakes and desserts. It's run by a husband and wife...again I don't remember the name but could easily find out.

Yes, there are many bakeries and candy stores. This is just the tip of the iceberg....or the ruggelah!

Dr. Z

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Iceberg is an icecream shop in Tel Aviv....One of the best. Next time ask the forum and you'll a list of faboulus bakeries in Tel Aviv.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

I really think it is a cultural thing. All the Israeli women I know (that I can think of offhand) bake - from scratch. If they find it necessary to serve purchased baked goods, they apologize and make excuses. While there are some excellent bakeries, they are scarce. Adult Israelis don't eat much candy, either. They are much more likely to eat fresh fruit (which is much tastier here than in the U.S. or Europe and much cheaper too), ice cream or those homemade baked goods, if they are snacking on sweets. Salty snacks are probably as popular, if not more so.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Pitzikat has a point. There are some very good bakeries that have what we call "European" style cakes with lots of wipped cream and chocolate, but they are not very popular and mostly go for festive occasions. Also many bake their own. I suppose that eating healthy is becoming more and more the way we eat here. Still in Tel Aviv Boutique Central patisserie has cakes to die for. One on Frisman (Kikar Rabin) and one in Kikar Hamedina. For those with a sweet tooth this is a must visit.

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Ahhh! Pitzikat's comments have put it all into proper perspective!!! Nothing better than homemade treats. That explains it all. Yes, we did see a lot of European pastries. Thanks all!

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Oh, and I would like to mention that we had the most delicious blintzes at the King's Garden restaurant at the King David Hotel. It was a great Israel treat! (Our entire meal was very good and was most memorable)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

Most supermarkets have bakeries in them. Depending upon the size of the supermarket it may have only a few types of yeast cakes--or it may have a full assortment of cake and freshly made bread--ymmm

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bakeries & Candy Shops?

yes, indeed. IMHO much better than can be had in the U.S., but (sadly or thankfully, depending on your waistline) not even close to the "average" French or Italian pastries.