We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Jerusalem touring

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Jerusalem touring

It is only 41 days, 11 hours, and 30 minutes until my flight leaves JFK for Israel. Not that I'm counting.

While in Jerusalem, I want to spend a half-day with my favorite Jerusalem tour guide, Madeleine Lavine. She is wonderfully creative at showing me parts of and sites in the city that I have never seen, not easy since I have been there nine times and nearly always spend half of my trip there. But like a good guide, she is challenging me to be a partner in coming up with ideas.

So I invite your help -- there are so many on this forum who either live there or know it better than I do.

What should I see? What can I do that is new and interesting?

Fire away, friends! And on this first day of fall, and the season of tshuvah and reflection, I truly am grateful that this opportunity to return draws near.

Douglas Duckett

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

Have you toured the Supreme Court?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

Pitzicat - this is a great idea.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

I have not. Kind of embarrassing for a lawyer and major Israel-phile to say, nachon? That's another option.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

And Al, thank you for the website. It's very informative.

As usual, you all have given me a great range of options. I'm going to talk with Madeleine and make some choices from that.

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

The Supreme Court have their guided tours. I am not sure, but this maybe the only way to visit there.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

The Supreme Court is a public building, you can wander. The courtrooms (5?) are not always accessible. I vaguely remember that they are locked when not in use, and that the tours go into them. Each is different.

I took a guided tour twice in English. The first time was extremely informative and interesting, the second time - several years later - was just soso. There is (used to be?) a video presentation before the tour. The English one was geared more toward tourists (Hebrew version is mostly for school groups) and had a lot of information about the architects and their design (much symbolism involved).

The Supreme Court is next to the Knesset, and it is nice to combine the two visits. The Knesset visiting hours are pretty limited and the English tours need to be booked in advance. You cannot get into the building without your passport.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

The Supreme Court is a public building, but when he courts are in session, it is deeply disturbing for the judges, the parties and their lawyers to have a procession of people going in and out . Thus the guided tour, which also lets you go in places where you can't go wandering about, such as court rooms which aren't used at that moment. So please everybody, if you wish to visit the Supreme Court and enjoy it - do take the tour. Besides, here are stringent security checks at the entrance and I doubt somebody claiming to wish to wander about without a tour will be let in.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

The tour in Hebrew is at 1100 and in English at 1200. Phone number 02-6759612.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

I did the tour when the building was new. It is definitely worth a visit.

50. Re: Ideas for Jerusalem touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 06:33