We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

NY
Level Contributor
514 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

We have been suggested to Darna, but told it is very expensive. Any other suggestions for a similar experience, for less money? A belly dancer would be a plus(we are dining with kids)

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

To my opinion Darna does not worth the money.

Another Maroccan restaurant in Jerusalem is Marakesh on 4 david street. I've eaten there long ago and it was OK.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

I have been to Darna a number of times and I would say it's way better than the "OK" Moti gave for Marakesh.

Darna is not overly expensive but the atmosphere and food are very good and quite authentic. Their outdoor patio in the Spring & Summer are a beautiful place to sit for a larger group but the indoor rooms are beautifully decorated.

Their lamb dishes are a specialty as is their tea-service. I think it's worth a look.

Dr. Z

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

I have never eaten at Darna, but I've heard wonderful things about it, so I don't at all dispute Dr. Z's (and many others') assessment. I will say that I ate at Marrakesh in 2005 and very much enjoyed it, though it is not on the upscale level of Darna.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

I am not a big meat person so I haven't been at either --but for various reasons I doubt if either place has a belly dancer. ( Hey guys--how about commenting on that part of the OPs post)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

Yes... I recall there being a belly dancing routine at my first visit to Darna. That first trip was with a tour group and I'm wondering if the dancing was not pre-arranged by the tour operator. I did not see dancing on subsequent visits.

Dr. Z

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

No belly dancing at Marrakesh either, to my recollection. Perhaps it could be arranged by request with the restaurant, but I'm sure that would come with a substantial fee. I don't think that's such a Moroccan Jewish thing, is it? And that's what we are talking about, of course.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

I am sure there are Morrocan Jews who belly danced. That is not what I was referring to. Please don't try to guess, I wont' share!

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

Marakesh is now a mound of rubble. They are building the Waldorf. Marziano and Toledano's Tajine restaurant has good reviews. They can advise on a belly dancer (are you sure it's an educational entertainment?)

NY
Level Contributor
514 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

Thanks for the info, looks like I am going to darna.\

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: moroccan restaurants in Jersualem

You can print out a 10% discount voucher for Darna from Eluna:

www.eluna.com/rest/darna.asp…

Another option if you want an educational Middle Eastern food event is Eucalyptus, now in a new location in Hutzot haYotzer. I haven't actually been there but I ate their food recently and it was spectacular, with very interesting explanations of everything. See info here, also with discount voucher:

www.eluna.com/rest/eucalyptus.asp…

Avigail