We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gym/running

Marblehead, MA
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
gym/running

So I think we have finally decided to stay in Jerusalem for 5 nights in March. Wondering if anyone knows of a good hotel under $200 that has a gym? Is running in Jerusalem safe, I read not early morning or at dark, would it be safe at 6am?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gym/running

While I don't know a hotel under $200 with a gym ( $200 is not that much ) there is no reason why you can't go running. Be aware that Jerusalem is HILLY!!! If you go at 6AM you will be surprised to see how much life there is. Many people start work at 8AM so 6AM is no big deal!

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: gym/running

I too don't think you'll find a hotel with a gym for under $200/night. But there are gyms where you can buy a daily membership. As for running outside, I was looking for something flat and what I ended up doing, and really enjoying, was using the track at the Hebrew University at Givat Ram. I didn't use it but I was told there is a fairly flat trail through Sacher Park. Also, as an fyi, there are regularly scheduled 5K and 10K races on the weekends in various parts of Israel. Let me know if you want any more details on any of the above and I'll try to help.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gym/running

If you stay at the Rabin guest house, you are very near Givat ram. It is not super central but it is a lovely residential neighbourhood, near a supermarket and a bunch of shops including some cheap eateries, and you have the 9 and 17 busses to town. www.iyha.org.il

4. Re: gym/running

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 10:32
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gym/running

This last post is against regulations but it has important info for tourists, so I suggest we leave it be.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gym/running

I second the suggestion for running through Gan Sachar.

If you want an inexpensive hotel with good fitness facilities, the YMCA (across from the Kind David) is a good option. It is a budget hotel in a historical landmark with lots of character. The food there is not kosher, if that matters to you. Douglas Labatt (a TA destination expert for Israel) can tell you more about it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gym/running

There isn't a track anymore at the YMCA -- that disappeared with the development behind the building. But there are still workout faciliites, which are pretty good.

I love the place. The hotel is not all spanking new and upscale -- a little too worn and needs renovation. But it has been spruced up since my 2008 visit, and there are still a lot of positives. See www.jerusalemymca.org for more information about the institution, including the hotel, which is called "The Three Arches."

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

8. Re: gym/running

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 08:17