We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours of Masada

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tours of Masada

I'll be on vacation in Jerusalem starting March 2nd and going back to NYC March 8th. Are there any tour companies with good tours of Masada? I've wanted to visit that site since i was a teenager.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours of Masada

The following all have tours to Masada. How good they are - I can't say, as I've only done it by private car. Try searching the forum (use the little search box above the forum posts), and see what others say about these companies' tours.

http://www.eggedtours.com/masada/

www.unitedtours.co.il/asg/Item_230.html

http://www.beinharim.co.il//article.php?id=42

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours of Masada

If you wish to visit Masada straight, without Dead sea dip, mud shop visit etc, i would suggest you do it by yourself either taking the bus from Jerusalem or renting a car.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours of Masada

Yes, to follow Anon: it's an easy place to visit on your own, and there is a museum, short film and info leaflets so plenty of information for you. Even if you want to visit other sites in the area, I would consider taking a rental car so that you have some flexibility with time.

You might also be interested in visiting the archaeological remains and national parks at Ein Gedi and Qumran which help to fill in more pieces of the very interesting history of the area. You can do all three in a day.

Avigail

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours of Masada

The price for a tour bus is about 92$. If you rent a car it will cost you less. It is easy to do on your own as already said.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours of Masada

Shoshi - true that renting a car costs less, but when you add the petrol and the entrance to Masada, and other places the tours take, I don't believe it comes out less by car.

However, and here I agree with my illustrious colleagues, I would also rather rent a car and do things at my own speed, and see other places in the area as well.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours of Masada

You can rent an audio guide when you get to Masada. And the short introductory film is very good.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,778 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours of Masada

I, too, would do it on your own, but since not everyone prefers that approach, I will add Zion Walking Tours just inside the Jaffa Gate, which also offers small bus tours of Masada, the Dead Sea, and Qumran.

Visiting these places for the first time was one of the great experiences of my life. Enjoy!

Douglas Duckett

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours of Masada

Thanks everyone for your help. Being from New York City, I have not driven a car for years (subway is very easy to use 24/7) and was not really planning on renting a car. Looks like I'll have to this time around.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours of Masada

If you did not drive for years, reconsider renting a car. The roads going to Massada are not the best ever.

ISRAEL
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours of Masada

Take the tour for the day.

it's not the best but it deliver the goods.

as far as i know all 3 companies are alike , and probably share the same bus during low season.

at least you get to see the the way which is lovely. when you drive you only see the road not the landscape.

they say Masada is best by sunrise , but for this you will have to spend the night near by ( Arad Maybe)