We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

Would like to take a taxi (Israeli if possible) to security checkpoint at entry to Bethlehem--any idea if this is possible, and the approximate cost?

Also how far is the walk from security checkpoint to Manger Square?

In the alternative, what should a local taxi from security to Manger Square cost?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
66 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

I did that very thing last month on our visit. I took a cab from our hotel (near the Jaffa Gate). The fare was 100 shekels (about $25), although the front desk at the hotel said it should be around 60 shekels. I just did not feel like arguing over $10. We walked through the checkpoint quickly and without any problem. We then took a taxi to Manger Square. There were many taxis trying to get our business. All wanted 100 shekels to take us to Manger Square, then Shepard's Field, then to Herodian. I kept insisting I only wanted a ride to the square. When none of them would agree I began to walk off. At that point 1 driver agreed to take me there for 30 shekels (he was not treated too kindly by the other drivers). It was a pretty short drive, but I do not think I would walk it. (and we typically do not shy away from a long walk).

Going back we took the bus directly to the Jaffa Gate. The bus stop was about a 10 minute walk from Manger Square through the market area. One of the Nativity shop owners gave us the directions and the bus number.

Go early! We left the hotel around 7:30 am, and when we arrived at Manger Square (a little after 8:00) there was not a tour bus in sight. We did not see 1 tour group until after 9:00. It was very nice to be there without any crowd at all.

Edited: 08 February 2010, 19:44
USA
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

Is another option to take an Arab taxi directly from Jerusalem to Manger Square? Where in Jerusalem would I get such a taxi? How much should it cost (for 4 people)? Is this safe? (I am not too worried, but obviously would not want to do something dumb). Thanks.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

You can get an Arab taxi--or Arab bus from near Damascus Gate of the Old City.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

AFAIK it is more practical to take separate transport to the checkpoint then to Manger Square, because the Bethlehem checkpoint is not open to traffic so the route would be circuitous.

You can take an Arab bus to the checkpoint from the bus terminal on Suleiman St (turn right out of the Damascus gate and walk down the road until you see the station where the buses with blue writing are leaving). It costs 6.5 NIS per person, they are used to tourists, and there is no way to get lost because the checkpoint is the last stop. You walk through the checkpoint (bring your passport). The other side, you can walk to Manger Square (about 15-20 mins, take a map or ask locals) or take a taxi.

Avigail

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

After long deliberations and some serious musings I came to the conclusion AFAIK is not the name of the Arab bus company that takes you to Bethlehem but rather the acronym for "as far as I know".

6. Re: to travel from Jerusalem to Manger Square in Bethlehem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:17