We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

I'm looking at staying at the Harmony Hotel, but someone told me you can't check in until after 9:00 p.m. on a Saturday. Does anyone know if this is true? And if you can't check in, is it possible to store bags until 9:00?

Thanks!

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

Email them. I'm not sure we can post email addresses on here but just google Atlas Hotels Israel and then direct the email to the Harmony. I have emailed a few of their hotels. It takes a day or two to get a response but they do respond and they are very helpful.

Mark

Los Angeles

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

You most certainly CAN post an email address. The only time one can't be posted is when it is the establishment itself advertising. The Harmony is not an Orthodox establishment. ( you can't even get a Sabbath dinner there--inasmuch as they only serve breakfast) so while it is important to ask them directly, I would be surprised if it is a problem. OR--try to make a reservation. The system won't accept it if you can't check in on the Sabbath.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

I, too, would be amazed if this were a problem. I checked in to its sister hotel, the Melody in Tel Aviv (part of the Atlas chain) at 3:30 a.m. on Shabbat. It's not a hotel that caters specifically to the Orthodox community.

Douglas Duckett

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

I just received an e-mail from Atlas Hotels. Check in begins at 2:00p.m. every day. But on Shabbat (Saturday), you must check in by 4:00 p.m.

I'm disappointed, as my international flight is due to arrive in Tel Aviv at 3:00, there's probably no way I'd get to the Harmony by 4:00.

I'll check for other "reasonable" hotels. Does anyone have a great recommendation for good location but under US $200? (I'm amazed at the prices for Jerusalem hotels!)

Thanks!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,103 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

Check in by 4:00 p.m - looks stupid.

Haifa
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

I think there is some misunderstanding. I've called the hotel and they say you can check in at any hour AFTER 4 pm, not BEFORE.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

The Harmony has a good reputation for customer service. Call and ask them if they can store your luggage. I'm willing to bet they'll find asolution for you.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,103 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

What juliajudith said makes sense, and she checked with the hotel.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

That answer makes no sense. (If the hotel were strictly Shabbat observant, they would not check in or out until Shabbat ends.) I would call the hotel directly and ask. That just seems very weird and inexplicable, and I think they may have misunderstood while typing that response.

For cheap minutes to call Israel, buy a $10 block from One Suite (www.onesuite.com), and calls to landlines are something like 4.5 cents per call. You can also use it for domestic calls.

Douglas Duckett

P.S. Because of the placement of the ad on the page, I did not see that some of my colleagues on the forum had given the same response. Bottom line, check directly.

Edited: 10 March 2010, 16:55
usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harmony Hotel, check in on Shabbat

Thanks. I'll call the hotel. With luck, the 4:00 limit is merely a translation or language issue.

I'll post again if the 4:00 p.m. stands.