We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican food in Israel

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem, Israel
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mexican food in Israel

Anyone find serious Mexican food in Israel? I think both tourists and expats could benefit from Mexican food of any kind. I've been blogging about this (http://gabeweiner.blogspot.com) and found out that tomorrow there is a Mexican fiesta in Jerusalem, so I'm hopeful, but also realistic--2 years and nothing so far....

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,776 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican food in Israel

Welcome to the forum . (I think)

Is your main point to advertise your blog or share information? If it is to share information you should have indicated where the festival is going to be--and not just post a link.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican food in Israel

There used to be a couple of good ones near Zion Square, but they went out of business. I guess there aren't enough immigrants from Mexico to sustain them.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican food in Israel

Try "Mexicana" at the corner of Bograshov and Ben-Yehuda in Tel-Aviv.

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican food in Israel

Once again, TA Israel Forum's "top cop" rdglady pounces all over a first-time poster. If she took the time to look at his link, it's mainly about finding good Mexican food in Israel--and also links to a pro-Zionist student group at UC Berkeley. So nice to see two other regulars totally ignored rdglady and shared some info about Mexican food.

As for me, someone who lives amidst much Mexican food, it may not be the cuisine I seek when I'm in Israel, but it's sure good to know that if I get a craving, there are some passable opportunities to sate it.

Jerusalem, Israel
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican food in Israel

Sorry for not posting more info directly to the forum. The event is in Nachlaot on Monday, November 22, from 6-10pm. Regarding Mexicana: it's not Kosher. I've also heard that it's not that authentic.

I'm obviously not saying there aren't a ton of places advertising Mexican food. There are. The problem is that all of them sell shawarma, Israeli salad and tachina wrapped in a tortilla. That's not Mexican...at all. I also find it interesting that with all the other American food that has caught on in Israel, Mexican-American food can't be found. I know many styles of American food and American chains have failed in Israel, but even in other places in the Middle East you can find Mexican-American food like Taco Bell (at least Lebanon has one and apparently a few other countries too).

I think Israelis like to take Mexican elements but don't want to put it all together. You can find salsa, tortilla chips, Mexican-themed spices, and Mexican-themed beans in many stores, for instance, but you just can't find it all together the way you'd expect in a restaurant.

Edited: 21 November 2010, 18:40
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican food in Israel

Interesting. Nice blog. I see you live in Jerusalem. The next time I a in Israel it would be interesting to try some Mexican food. Thank you for the post.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican food in Israel

funstuff:

Right - kosher Mexican is more authentic :-)

Mexicana was recommended to me by two people - one a Texan, the other a Californian (San Diego), both of whom are fans of Mexican food. I think they know what is "authentic".

Jerusalem, Israel
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexican food in Israel

mbgg, nice one, except it's not hard at all to make something at least authentically Mexican-American and still be Kosher. That's what Amigos Grille near Pardes Channa apparently was (before it quickly went out of business). There's a ton of Mexican-American food that could at least in theory be made Kosher (i.e. no mixing of meat and cheese, no prohibited seafood, etc.). For instance: chicken, beef, fish and veggie burritos, tacos, tortas, etc. of many varieties. Many health-conscious Mexican spots in California feature have a lot of food like that, but you'll never see it in Israel.

I'll have to leave it to someone else regarding Mexicana. I haven't been there.

Jerusalem, Israel
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexican food in Israel

By the way just taking a cursory glance at various reviews of Mexicana online I found this:

"Hi All my Name is Jorge I’m 23 years old and I’m Mexican from Puebla City ( the place where the original MOLE comes from). Thanks 4 the Information Guys I’m so happy to know that MEXICANA in Tel-Aviv is not the only Mexican Place in Israel, honestly I’ve tried Already and it’s AWFUL and the service is as bad as their attempt to Mexican Food, I really Hope I can find just a bit of Home in your Places that hopefully I’ll be visiting soon."

and

"As a losingoption, we made our way to Mexicana for our dinner. It was good but far from what our tastes had desired."

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,776 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexican food in Israel

Spark--I had looked at the link! Otherwise I wouldn't have known to write what I did.

Funstufftodo--now you are participating and it shows that you do want to be part of the forum. Welcome!