We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a single gay guy

Europe
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a single gay guy

I'll be in Jerusalem between 30/01/2011 and 03/02/2011 and am still looking for a nice, decent and not too far-out place to stay.

What I am looking for:

1. somewhere close to the Old City

2. facilities to include either an indoor pool/ sauna/ wellness

3. a travel guide for a day or two

4. gay/gay-friendly - but not a must

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,582 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

Hi Zattoo,

If you have a generous budget for your trip, you might want to look at the Mamilla Hotel, a new ultra-modern hotel very close to the Old City, with an indoor pool. Check the reviews here, though, as there are mixed opinions about it.

Others on the forum can help more with the travel guide bit. Again, a personal travel guide will be expensive. If you're interested in seeing sites inside Jerusalem, you could do that very well on your own with a good guide book.

As for gay-friendly: Jerusalem doesn't have any specifically gay or gay-friendly hotels. However, any hotel will be polite and respectful and you shouldn't encounter any problems. If you want to see Israel's gay scene, Tel Aviv is the place for you... you could easily go for an evening from Jerusalem by bus or shared taxi.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Mamilla Hotel
Mamilla Hotel
1,757 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,582 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Europe
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

Hello PRSV,

thanks for the quick reply. I've had a look at the Mamilla Hotel, but find it a bit over-priced (for the reviews here and elsewhere)...

I have bought a good guide book for Jerusalem and will most probably use that, but just thought a bit of inside info would be good too :-) and that one normally gets from one of the 'locals' :-))

As for gay-friendly...I just finished reading some posts (on another site) about Jerusalem and it just seemed to me that the attitude is somewhat different to that in TLV - and since I do not intend to offend anyone (at the hotel) if I do ask about cafes, etc. I thought it best to ask here... I am not into any of the gay scene type of activities, and I certainly do not act or look like the stereotypical gay guy (no handbags, Gucci slippers or make-up...lol...) I certainly do not want to run into any difficulties due to religious areas, questions asked, etc.

I am planning on visiting TLV, and have already arranged everything...but Jerusalem still is a small complication for me :-)

thanks for your help though!

Mentioned in this post
Mamilla Hotel
Mamilla Hotel
1,757 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

Try Diana's Guesthouse in Jerusalem: ourakcha.com/gay-diana-s-house-en-E462.html

I know the owner, who is a very nice person.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

Firstly - thanks to Matzchik... as a gay guy who's lived in Jerusalem for years, that's the first time I've heard of that guest house. The location is great.

Zattoo - you seem well organized. The attitude in Jerusalem is definitely different from Tel Aviv. You could call it more of a don't ask - don't tell mentality here. I bet you'll have a good time, and if you do decide to get a handbag after all, there should be some good bargains in the Old City markets :)

Edited: 27 December 2010, 11:25
Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,582 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Europe
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

@ Matzchik...thanks, I have visited the page before coming here, but since it did not look too inviting, I ignored the B&B...I have now sent an email, so we'll see what comes back :-)

@ PRSV...I don't have a problem with mentalities or attitudes, can adjust accordingly...I am not really the shopper-type-of-guy, but when I do shop, it is more likely that I buy a backpack than a handbag :-))

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,844 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

Regarding Jerusalem - while on paper things may appear a bit different - you have nothing to be concerned about. No one is going to ask or pry and it is quite common to see men traveling on their own, so that any hotel or restaurant that meets your needs will be just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Europe
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

Thanks Oreets!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,488 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

In Israel nobody cares if you are gay or whatever. Itis not written on you. You have nothing to worry. As for guides or guided tours, ther are several comapnies offering guided tours, like Zion Walking tours. The 4 quarters tour is a nice introduction to Jerusalem. Their office is inside the walls opposite the Jaffa Gate. On the right side when entering the Jaffa Gate is the tourist office where you can get ideas; maps and more.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jaffa Gate Hostel
Jaffa Gate Hostel
109 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,942 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

I am writing as an Orthodox women. Obviously you are aware of the feelings of many Orthodox towards gays. That being said, I sincerely doubt you are planning on wearing a sign that says, I am a gay guy" You can easily and comfortably go around Jerusalem in and out of all kinds of neighborhoods without being concerned. As PRSV said ( and he is the expert) Jerusalem is not a gay mecca. ( although I believe there is a gay support organization) but you shouldn't feel concerned at being a tourist who just happens to be gay!

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for a single gay guy

Being gay in Jerusalem should not make the slightest bit of difference. You are going for the sites like every other tourist. Just to make the point that it really doesn't matter, I had a group of teens in Jerusalem, and the Israeli guide we had was gay. What mattered was that he knew the history, could read and engage the group and was well organized. He was a fantastic guide and I would recommend him to anyone taking teens!

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem