We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Hi Guys,

I am planning my younger son's Bar Mitzvah in July 2012, at the Robinson Arch and any info. would be greatly appreciated for new fabulous venues, day trip, or cool entertainment ideas. As you might remember last time we did the day trip on Wed. of: Kotel, City of David Water Tunnel Tour, and Holocaust Museum with Light Spectacular Show. (Guests love air conditioned tours with few stairs, no caves, digging...) Should we possibly do: Israel Museum, Rachel's Tomb,

Time Elevator this time? Or Tel Aviv day trip? Also..last time we ate at Darna (Nice atmosphere -ok food), La Guta (Fabulous food and ambiance) for Bar mitzvah lunch, and Teresa on terrace for dinner party with musicians (AMAZING!!). I am trying to change the venues slightly with maybe La Guta for a dinner and find another amazing place for light lunch, and replace Darna with something different.

Oh, we also had Shabbat dinner in King David room at Mount Zion Hotel (food average, but room was really nice). Any ideas or unusual elegant options would be appreciated. Any one hear of Spoons - the new location? Lavon for lunch? I heard Between Arches might be under new management? We considered this last time for a light lunch, but friends said food was disappointing, although it looked coo;l with the stone work and all. We are a small group of approx. 24 guests, but want my son and guests to have a trip to remember! Any ideas for amazing food and day trip would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know why Shmil's in the Lab closed? I loved that place for a casual meal before the Bar Mitzvah. Also, anyone know about dessert type drummers or unusual entertainment? My son is all about music. I heard there is a new show at the City of David called Sound Scapes at the Tower? Is this as good as Light Spectacular at Tower of David. That was amazing!

Thanks,

Lisa

Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Hi,

My name is Eyal and I am the E-Commerce Manager of the David Citadel Hotel and the Mamilla Hotel and I will be happy to assist the best I can.

At the Alrov Mamilla Mall you can have a light lunch at the Mamilla Cafe. There are also some other nice alternatives along that open air mall.

For dinner you might want to consider the Rooftop located at the roof of the Mamilla Hotel and have an astonishing view of the old city. You can also consider for dinner the Scala chef kitchen & bar restaurant, located at The David Citadel Hotel.

You have written that you plan to arrive on July 2012, is that an input error? If not than it is hard to predict if any of the casual music events will occur next year as well. It is best to discuss this next year same time more or less.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

dallas
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Thanks for your input. Have you ever experienced the new Spoons location?

or Ticho House for dinner?

Do you think Scala or Roof Top is best for nice dinner or lunch after Bar Mitzvah?

I heard the roof top is only open for dinner - and we need to be indoors with air conditioned after hot morning in sun. What menus are the best inclusive value, as we are on a budget?

Thanks,

L

Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Our Concierges are not familiar with Spoons so unfortunately I cannot recommend or not recommend it.

The Ticho House or as it is called in Hebrew the house of Anna Ticho is recommended by our concierge for their variety and good food. It is a dairy restaurant.

The Scala and the Rooftop are both excellent places for dinner. They both are not open for lunch.

The Rooftop is indeed an outdoor restaurant. There are big portable air conditions systems all over the restaurant. However, if you want to have a closed place than the Scala or Mamilla Cafe (Dairy) will be suitable. The Mamilla Cafe may not be suitable for large group, how many people are you going to be?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Did you visit the Ayalon Institute? It is outside of Tel Aviv, it was facinating piece of Israel's history.

dallas
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

I'll check that out. Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas of new great places to have Bar Mitzvajh lunch or dinner celebrations in Jerusalem. Does not need to be kosher. Also do you think Inbal or Mount Zion is better?

Thanks,

LC

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

The Israel Museum is great. You might be able to arrange a tour for your group with or without a meal, through the museum. There is a meat restaurant and a dairy cafe.

I thought the Time Elevator was pretty hokey, but the kids might enjoy it.

A day trip to Tel Aviv? Sure. Visit the Palmach Museum (reservations needed) and the nearby Diaspora Museum on the Tel Aviv University campus. Independence Hall, where Ben-Gurion proclaimed the STate of Israel. If you do this on Tuesday, you could also visit the crafts fair in Nahalat Binyamin St. next to the Carmel open market.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

In Jerusalem, I prefer the Mount Zion Hotel over the Inbal Hotel. It's not luxurious, but it is one of the few Jerusalem hotels with some real old world charm and unique Jerusalem character.

Definitely do a day trip to Tel Aviv, the capital of Mediterranean cool. Start the day at the new "HaTachana" entertainment complex near Jaffa and then work your way north through Neve Zedek and into the heart of the city on Rothschild Blvd where you'll learn why the United Nations declared Tel Aviv's "White City" a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

dallas
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Thanks so much for the replies. Is Palmach museum and Diaspora museum too much for one day? Also has anyone eaten at Cuba (New place which took over Shmil's)? Is there any show as good as Sound and Light Show at Tower of David? We did this last time and am looking for something to replace it for after dinner and tour on Wednesday night? Also is Sophia's or La Guta's better? Was thinking about Bar Mitzvah lunch venue? Is Mamilla Roof Top that wonderful for a dinner?

Has anyone eaten recently at Teresa's? last thing... we are wondering if we should keep Shabbat dinner (as last time) at King David Room at Mount Zion or plan somewhere else??

Thanks so much for your input!

LC

dallas
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

Have you ever been to Between the Arches? Is food good there?

I need a lunch place still. What about Herzl, Lavan, Montifiore? Have you been to

Hasadna (Old Shmil's)?

Can you please advise. Between the arches has a spiral stair case and I have a family member scared of them.

Any advise?

Lisa

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for new venues and day tour for July Bar Mitzvah

The Mamilla Rooftop is fabulous, but so is the Anne Ticho House Garden. The Mamilla has an unbelievable view of the Old City walls (across the street), but the Anne Ticho house feels more intimate. Either way it's a win win.

Between the Arches is very nice, directly opposite the Western Wall and almost impossible to get a reservation for popular dates. The Mamilla & Between the Arches would be the two more convenience locations.

Mozel tov on your upcoming Bar Mitzvah:)

Shalom-