We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

Randolph, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

I have been to Israel but never on a chag like Pesach. I am renting an apartment near Emek Refaim but am not arriving until the day the chag begins (erev). I have a place to go for seder but am not sure how I will be able to get food into our apartment. I understand that 'things sell out' in the grocery stores. What kind of things sell out and do they restock during the week? Do you know of any service that could do my shopping for me? Would the grocery stores be more full and stocked in Tel Aviv? Anything you can advise would be great.

Also,when the first day of holiday ends at sundown, will restaurants open?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

Hag sameach to all of you. I just have to say that you all were wonderfully helpful to the OP -- kol ha-kavod!

Douglas Duckett

Visiting New York

Randolph, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

Thanks for the information. So here's the next question, I will be arriving Friday April 15 to Tel Aviv for the weekend before coming to the apartment in Jerusalem on Monday, erev chag. Should I be able to do my shopping on Sunday or Saturday night in Tel Aviv and just bring it with me?

I was most concerned about items like eggs, milk, matzot, cheeses.....

Kitniyot will be an issue! Oy!!

Thanks.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

No problem!!!

All this time I thought you were arriving to your apt in Jerusalem straight from the airport.

Of course you can buy basics in Tel Aviv. Grocery stores will probably be open extra hours on motzei Shabat HaGadol, and Sunday is a regular working day, so of course grocery stores are open.

This is a MUCH better idea than buying at the last minute in Jerusalem minutes before everything closes.

How are you getting to Jerusalem? If taking public transportation, just be careful not to schlepp too much (esp w/delicate items like eggs) + your luggage.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,658 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

You should be able to get everything you need in Tel Aviv just be prepared - the stores will be super crowded, long lines, everyone stocking up for the "seige".

Kitniyot will be a real issue - bring your magnifying glass. If you have specific questions, ask away, or send me a PM

25. Re: Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2012, 07:35
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,658 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

While the information may be helpful - you have dredged up a thread that is almost a year old just to post your first ever post which smacks of advertising - not permitted here on the forum.

27. Re: Pesach in Israel.....food questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 09:20