We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Hello,

We are leaving for Haifa this Thurs and are trying to decide the best method of travel - bus or sherut. I am looking for recommendations. If the sherut is the way to go, where would we pick on up.

Please advise.

Thank you!

JT

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Are you traveling with large luggage? If yes a sherut may not have room to accomodate such luggage (as opposed to a sherut from the airport which does). In which case the bus is a better option because there is room to store large pieces under the bus.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

The buses from Haifa to Jerusalem are very good, direct and they also drive via HYW 6... there is no reason to take a sherut with this route.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 09:28
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

The bus is the best option. They travel on time, seats are comfortable, lots of storage space, and you can see the view from an elavated seat. Buses are the best way to go!

Managua
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Great help to me as well! Thanks to the 3 respondents. How often do buses leave from Jerusalem to Haifa and how long is the ride? On the return from Haifa I assume a sherut is better as I will be going direct to Ben Gurion airport??? (This message comes from Nicaragua - Arturo V.)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,043 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

For bus schedules between Jerusalem and Haifa check www.egged.co.il/eng - you'll get schedules, travel times and fares. Just plug in the day of the week you want to travel - the dates will only show for the coming week, but the schedules are pretty set.

Managua
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Fantastic and thank you. Can one get tickets On Line or only at the Station? ie. what are the odds of a bus being "sold out" at peak times and therefore have to turn up extra early for a seat?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,043 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

You can buy tickets on the bus or at the ticket booth in the central bus station - depending on the day of week and time you will be traveling the bus may be half empty or very crowded, including people standing.

If you tell us when you are planning to go we can give you an estimate of how crowded - but usually, if you get to the gate at least 10-15 minutes before the scheduled time, you will be fine.

Managua
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Wow, you're fast! Don't laugh but this is long term planning but specific: Thursday, November 10, Jerusalem to Haifa: lv at 0800: there are two simultaneous departures (yes, I followed your advise and looked the times up at the page you recommended) one getting to Haifa in just under two hours and the other closer to 3 hours - no brainer which I would want to take and hence my concern on a full bus. Retruning the next day, Friday, Haifa to Ben Gurion airport, leaving at 11:30am - I note it needs a bus transfer just shy of the airport, multi-stop, scenic!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,043 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Since you are planning to travel out of Jerusalem early on a Thursday - the number of people trying to get on the bus should not be too bad. As the day continues on Thursdays the number of travelers will grow as many students and soldiers start heading home for the weekend Thursday afternoon.

Coming from Haifa to the airport you will have to get off the bus at the El Al Junction and then take a shuttle bus into the airport. The bus leaving Haifa on Friday will be crowded - very crowded. Get there early, you will have to put your luggage in the lower luggage compartment - make sure to get off the bus near the driver so you can make sure he opens the luggage compartment for you to get your bags.

Managua
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sherut from Jerusalem to Haifa

Given your comments for th return on a Friday, Haifa to the airport, would taking a sherut be more practical than the bus?