We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar mitzvah Lunch

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bar mitzvah Lunch

Need to find a restaurant for a small party/lunch for about 25 people after my son's bar mitzvah at the Kotel. Trying to decide between 3 places, wondering if anyone could help. Primavera at the Plaza Hotel, Agas V Tapuah(Pera e Mela-pear & Apple) in Safra Square or Beit Shmuel. I am looking for good food, good atmosphere (a special festive feeling) and a view of Jerusalem, if possible. If we could walk there from the Kotel, instead of taking taxis, that would be a plus. If anyone has been to any of these places, I would appreciate your thoughts.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

I don't know if any of them have a view of Jerusalem. However I think the food and atmosphere of the restaurant is more important than the view. I've loved Pere eMela for years and years. (even at their former location) The owners are Italian, the atmosphere is good and the food is great. I would go there if I was you. Primavera--I haven't been to because I feel that they are overpriced.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

Of the three places you mentioned Beit Shmuel is the most ideal. It is a short walk from Jaffa Gate (less than 10 minutes), has a beautiful view of the city walls and has great food. Also, the service is great.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 01 March 2011, 18:21
NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

JUst to let you know, Beit Shmuel does catering for a minimum of 100 people. I only have 25. So I keep looking.

I am considering The Spaghettis restaurant in the Mamilla mall. Looks nice, price is good, but no view of the old city.

I would like a kosher (Mehadrin) dairy restaurant in the Mamilla mall that has a view of the old city.

Also thinking of The Inbal /Sofia restaurant where I had first BM lunch 3 yrs ago, nice but no view from inside. And after standing at kotel for BM for 2 hours in summer heat, I know from last time I did this, everyone wanted to be inside in air conditioning with a cold drink!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,060 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

If you are looking for a view of the Old City try either the David Citadel hotel to see if they can arrange a private party for you in one of the rooms with a view of the Old City - or the new Mamila Hotel - same request or their roof top cafe.

You can also check with the King David, though it is a bit farther away.

None of the places in the Mamila Mall have a view of the Old City, unless you stretch your neck quite a bit.

If the view is less critical you can try David's Harp - it's a new venture that offers catering for small parties and is on Mt. Zion right outside the walls of the Old City. I have heard some positive feedback but don't have any personal experience with them. Check out: http://www.harpofdavid.co.il/index.htm

And - Mazal Tov!!

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

FYI -- The Rooftop restautant of the Mamilla hotel only serves Dinner.

The Sofia at the Inbal hotel has changed management and will not allow use of the business lunch menu (79 NIS per person) for a group lunch for more than 10 people, and tell me that I must use their catering menu of 169 NIS per person (much higher!!)

so I am back to Agas Vtapuah, not my first choice b/c of lack of view, but as it seems any place with a nice view will cost a pretty penny.

Any final suggestions before I book Agas would be appreciated.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,060 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

Shulchan David is a beautiful location on Mt. Zion. It doesn't have a view, but has great atmosphere and is walking distance from the Kotel.

Their web-site is Hebrew and English combined. Take a look at:

www.liav.co.il/frameset.asp?id=4&type=1

Their site says that their minimum is 60 persons, but I have heard that they have at times hosted smaller groups.

They are not mehadrin, but I believe can get mehadrin if needed. They are a pleasure to work with and the food and service are great. It's worth checking if they can accommodate your group - date - needs.

dallas
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

Hi,

I don't know if I'm too late to add in a suggestion... but La Guta

was an amazing place inside for lunch. We had our lunch here, and dinner at Teresa's . Teresa would be a great choice, but La Guta is probably exactly what you need, if you don't mind not having a view. You are right about having air conditioning after the Bar Mitzvah. My guests felt the same way.

Make sure to reserve the middle part of La Guta's and not the room

of to the side - when you walk in, as it is warmer in that room.

I am planning another Bar Mitzvah in July, and am looking for other different

places to dine and tour. I would love to hear about your plans.

Thanks,

Lisa

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

La Gute is a lovely restaurant, but it is meat, not dairy, and I beleive the kashrut is Rabbinut, not Mehadrin, so it does not seem to fit the OP's needs.

Pere eMela is lovely (despite lack of view).

Shulchan David is nice -- I'm not sure if 25 peaople is too small for them. (It's a catering hall -- I thik they're minimum is ~80 people).

dallas
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

Just wondering has anyone had a meal at the new Spoons location ?

I know they have moved and we wanted to try this in July 2012 for my son's

upcoming Bar Mitzvah.

Also here is some info. if anyone has any advice or input.

This is kind of what I thought we would do for July 2012 for a Bar Mitvah group of about 18-20... feel free to change or comment on.

Wednesday:

Day tour with private bus driver (group of about 14-18)

May go to Tel Eviv:

See Palmach Museum ?

Diaspora Museum?

Jaffa Old Streets and Port/ Board walk

Neve Tzedek

Carmel Market?

or Instead of Tel Eviv: do Sifting program, Generations Museum, ???

Wednesday Dinner at Spoons or La Guta or Chakra?

(Last year we did Darna...and it was interesting and owner was Awesome..but food was just ok)

Thursday:

Bar Mitzvah at Robinson Arch (9:15am)

Blessing at Kotel with our Rabbi

Light Lunch ?? (Last time we had it at La Guta, but were too full to enjoy Teresa's food in evening, so thinking

something light but nice - nice ambiance indoors or view... any ideas here?)

Dinner party on terrace at Teresa? or Spoons or Ticho House???

Friday:

Tour of Israel Museum... Knesset?

(and perhaps Generation Center if open?)

Is Time elevator too cheesy for nice group? (Dont know what else to do with Israel Museum)

Dinner @ King David Room at Mount Zion (Where staying) or maybe Mamilla hotel - Roof Top???

Are there any shows in evening as good as Light Spectacular show at Tower of David? My son

loved this but we have already sen it. Any other unusual or great things to watch? Sound Scapes was at City of David but dont think it is still on exhibit. This would be great since my son is all about Piano and music.

I'm trying to keep this tasteful, exciting.. very organized, and staying away from guests fears: stairs, heights, tight cave like small quarters...no caves, or too hot digging or hiking.

Many thanks for any contributions

Lisa

Israel
Level Contributor
212 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar mitzvah Lunch

where ius spoons ? never heard of spoons

and la guta has moved into baka so no view there

try cafe rimon for dairy with the view in mamilla