We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
188 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

Does El Al board their first class and business class patrons first and then board from the rear of the plane to the front -

or do they board first and business class and then board window seats, then middle seats, then aisle seats the same way that United Airlines boards their planes? Thanks.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

El Al boards those at the head of the line first with business and first class given priority.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 09 March 2011, 04:32
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

El Al economy is boarded on a first come first serve basis. Business and First dont' usually leave the King DAvid lounge until after boarding is started and partially done! As a Business class flyer--one of my perks is I can stay in the lounge, not stand on line in a crowd and not worry about sufficient carry on space etc. etc. I can see no logically reason why I would WANT to board first ( if you want to go earlier--no one will stop you---all it means is being on the plane longer!

BTW this is true both in JFK and TLV, I categorically disagree with Chana above and I have been flying twice a year business for over 10 years!

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

I can't really understand what the lkrupp is trying to understand. Are you flying business or economy? what are you worried about?

rdglady clarified very well the "business" part of the question. As for economy, If I remeber correctly ElAl tries to board the back rows first but they are not very strict about it.

nj
Level Contributor
188 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

I will be buying economy seats. My husband is worried about having enough space in the overhead bin and wants to board early in order to have room for his carry-on bag. If El Al boards economy seats from the rear to the front, then he'll want a seat in the rear of the plane. Most airlines, I believe, board economy passengers this way, except United Airlines, which boards all window, then middle, then aisle seats. Thanks for your replies.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

What El Al does theoretically and what happens in reality are not always the same thing. Reread what Erirya wrote--"not very strict" They ARE getting stricter about size and amount of carryon!

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

I must say that I never had a problem with finding space for my carry-on no matter when I boarded. When they board the back rows first, the bins over there fill first so it really doesn't make any difference. Tell your husband to relax. He will not have any problem.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

I will reinforce what others have said - unless you insist on having your carry-on directly over your own head, you will not have a problem finding room for it. Even if you are having difficulty, the flight attendants will find someplace to stow it for you.

As to the order of boarding - you will see that with El Al boarding doesn't necessarily go in order. However, if you have difficulty boarding, you can always ask to be pre-boarded, along with families with small children, etc. You will then be among the first on the plane and should have your choice of overhead bins.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

Sorry, Oreets, but that isn't necessarily true. If there isn't room in the overhead, passengers are often required to store carry-on under the seat, thus considerably reducing leg room. And even if the items are stored elsewhere in the plane, it pretty much means the passenger will have no access to it during the long-haul flight.

Grab seats in the waiting area near the boarding area and get in line as soon as you see others lining up. If El Al enforces the back-to-front policy, the worst that will happen is that you will have to step aside, but you will be still be among the first in line when they begin boarding your section.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
296 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

I just completed a trip to Israel flying El Al from JFK to Tel Aviv and back. My experience was that boarding was more or less "first come, first serve". I was clued in to this when people started crowding round the gate area around the time that the desk personnel announced boarding would start in a few minutes. There was no call for First/Business class passengers and with the explanations given earlier I now see why. Basically when the two lanes opened, they boarded whoever was there.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: boarding a plane from JFK to TLV via El Al

Did anyone have a problem with their over head bin space for their carry-ons that justifiy the worries mentioned in this thread?