We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davidson Center

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Davidson Center

Hi

We are planning to visit the Archaeological Park and would love to see the Virtual Reconstruction Model at the Davidson Center but on the website it says this has to be booked in advance but I have also read it can only be seen on a guided tour. Can anyone give me any more info?

Thanks

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Davidson Center

The Virtual Model can be booked for groups but it is included in the local guided tour. So if you are going on the guided tour you will see it, if not then you'll be able to see it only if there is a group that booked it and there is place for you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Davidson Center

The computerized reconstruction of the Temple that is located in the Davidson center is by appointment only. If I'm not mistaken it costs 300 shekels for a viewing which can be for up to 30 people at one time. The tour is only with a guide who operates the computer holding the software that takes you on the tour. It is definately worth the visit if you have a group. However, if you are only 2 or 3 people you may want to view the short film in one of the halls of the palace which shows a taste of what a guided tour looks like but without additional cost.

Chana

Israel

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Davidson Center

I too will be in Jerusalem in June with my wife. We want to go to the Davidson Center. Do I need advanced reservations to get in? Reading the posts seems to tell me that reservations are for groups or if you want to spend 300 shekels per person? Is it a worthwhile visit without the Virtual Model?

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Davidson Center

The virtual model costs 300 shekels per session whether you are one person or 25 people. If you want to see this model you need to book reservations in advance, however the Davidson center is open to the public without prior reservation.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,915 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Davidson Center

While the virtual model in the Davidson Center is fascinating and adds a lot, you can visit the Davidson Center and see and apprieciate everything there without the model. It is not something that I would consider a "must" and I would not consider spending the extra money for it.

The center is well planned, has a small museum displaying items found in the area, has a 10 minute film putting the finds and the area into historical perspective, and you can walk through the park and see many historical finds first hand.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Davidson Center

Thank you for your replies. We have booked the Kotel tunnel tour and I am reluctant to book something else as we prefer to keep our itinerary flexible so will just plan on our own visit to the Davidson Center.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
143 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Davidson Center

The web site says that you can book a guided tour of the archaeological site for ILS 160 (I think). It says you have to make reservations in advance but there is no link or e-mail address to make the reservatons -- only a phone number. Can anyone provide advice for booking their guided tour. I know there are headphones, but we would prefer a "live" guide, and thought that having a guide from the Davidson Center would be a good option, and much less expensive than hiring a private guide on our own.

Can anyone help?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Davidson Center

The guided tour of the Davidson center is only for the computerized model of the Temple is this what you are interested in? As far as I know there is no audio guide for the antiquities part.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 17 April 2012, 04:23
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Davidson Center

There is a terrific audio guide for the outdoor antiquities at the Davidson Centre. If you don't have a guide, you should definitely have the audio guide. I can't remember how much it is but it is not expensive. It will 'fill in the blanks' and explains what you are looking at.

I have wanted to see the virtual model but with 3 visits in a year, I was unable to get in to see it- it doesn't seem possible to join an already booked tour.

Be sure to bring drinking water with you when walking around the site, it is often in the direct sun.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
143 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Davidson Center

Thanks for replies. I am interested in booking a live tour to see the archaelogical park, not just the audio tour with head phones. The site says that tours have to be booked in advance, but there is no link to do that. How do I book a tour?