We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus tour to massada

london
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bus tour to massada

Hi, Going to take a days bus tour to Massada from Jerusalem. Last time was over 20 years ago with Egged. Can anyone recommend a tour or are they all very similar? Would prefer to do the one with the least shopping for souvenirs.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus tour to massada

The tours offered by the major players - Egged, United Tour, etc. are all very similar. All will have one major stop for shopping - sorry, not much you can do about it - there is of course no requirement for you to buy anything, but it will be there.

14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bus tour to massada

There is an additional option called "me tours" which is you doing the tour by yourself :).

You can rent a car for a day and drive their and with some information prospect or your own travel guide that you can bring you can explore by yourself. Especially when you say that you already did that tour in the past.

At the site you can also rent a audio-guide.

Of course that guided tours are always more rich with information that the tour guide gives you and you do not need to look for it for yourself unless you are the "explorer" type of traveler.

Enjoy Jerusalem and the tour :)

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,718 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus tour to massada

I agree with Oreet but taking one of the regular tours which are scheduled almost daily. Check with the concierge at your hotel and use which every company they recommend. They are all basically the same.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus tour to massada

Mamillahotel

"me" tours--I just love it!!!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus tour to massada

the only problem with the egged and united tours is that they must register in advance. our volunteers get in on fridays and call me friday evening wondering what to do saturday. if they've rented a car, i send them down to massada and the dead sea. if they have not, i suggest the old city. i wish there was one stop i knew for sure the egged buses made every week (they go to the hotels WHERE people have reserved tours) so i could send people to see if there was space and they could just hop on!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,718 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus tour to massada

Please bare in mind that tours are set according to numbers and therefore without advance reservation the company has no way of knowing how many people will join and thus which vehicle to use. In addition if there is an off chance of no reservation they have no reason to hire a guide/driver for the next day -- thus the need for advance reservations -- I believe like anywhere else in the world.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus tour to massada

Right. I'm just saying - they could have 2-10 hop-on extras from us every week if they WERE able to take them at the last minute. When we can reserve in advance for the following Friday or Saturday, WE DO.

london
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bus tour to massada

Thank you all for your valuable advice. I guess we will wait till we arrive and book whichever seems more convenient time wise from the hotel.

York, England
Level Contributor
246 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus tour to massada

We went to Masada with Alternative Tours and found them very good.

We paid 170 NIS (about 34 UKP or 50 USD) for an 8-hour tour which we thought exstremely good value. The tour included Qumran (where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found) and a stay at Ein Gedi for a free float in the Dead Sea as well as Masada. (NB: Avoid Ein Gedi Spa which is costly I believe)

The contact mail for Alternative Tours is abuhasan@alqudsnet.com

and this is the link;

alternativetours.ps/abuhassan%20final1_files…

and

alternativetours.ps/abuhassan%20final1_files…

NB: This is DIFFERENT from the Alternative Tourism Group in Bethlehem who are also very good but do not do this tour I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Ein Gedi Spa
Ein Gedi Spa
538 Reviews
Ein Gedi, Israel
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus tour to massada

I took the United tour a couple of weeks ago to Masada and the Dead Sea. I was quite pleased with the tour; we spent a fair amount of time at Masada (only a few minutes quick shopping in their gift shop at the end) and then stopped at En Gedi where we had four hours to float in the Dead Sea, enjoy the warm springs, and mud etc. I compare that with some companions who took a similar tour (do not know who it was with) and said they only had 45 minutes at the Dead Sea!