We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

I read online that there will be a festival on Mehane Yeduda St. on Mondays this July. I am looking into also booking a reservation for the Night Spectacular for the same evening at 9:30pm. I figured we can walk around the festival, which starts at 6pm, eat light supper from the food vendors, and then walk over to the show. Is this do-able? Do I have my geography totally wrong? Would we need taxis?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

You can easily walk from Mahane Yehuda to David's Citadel. It is not too far, just consult a map so you don't go walking around in circles.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

Your geography is just right - definitely doable. Allow about 20 minutes to walk from Machane Yehuda to David's Citadel - that way you will have a leisurely walk and you will not be rushed.

You leave the market area either via Jaffa Rd or Agrippas St. Ask anyone to point you in the direction of the Old City - stay on Jaffa Rd towards the Old City and you will end up at the Jaffa Gate and the Citadel.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

I never heard of this festival. Does anyone know more about it?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,568 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

Jaffa Road is easy to find. It is the one with the tracks in the middle for the light rail--and no buses, taxis or cars on it.

The light rail---originally scheduled for years ago was then scheduled to start running "definitely: by Passover. Now it is going to be running in August--but most who know the situation don't believe it. Hey--even if I DO see it with passengers I'll probably think its the heat,I'm dehydrated and hallucinating!

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

Miriam,

Its caled the Balabasta festival.

This is a link to tell you more about it.

gojerusalem.com/discover/item_12418/2011-Bal…

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

Thank you, I will take these directions, and hope we don't get lost!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,568 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

Lucy--you would have to work hard to get lost. Relax--once there you will realize how unnecessary your fears were!

I didn't know what it was until you posted. Reading the link--I do not know if I would do the two things on the same night ( unless that is the only time you have) I wouldn't want to have to watch my time while at the shuk. Hopefully I'll go on July 25

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

That morning will be my son's Bar Mitzvah, and I thought the Night spectacular would be a special way to end the day. The festival is only on Mondays, so I cannot change that. I can see the show another night, I just thought it would be a nice activity for the BM day.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,568 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

Pure opinion--I think that a Bar Mitzvah, a BM lunch and then running from place to place is just too much. Do the Sound and Light Show the following Day. ( keep the BM festivities going)

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mehane Yehuda Festival & Night spectacular- same night?

Or, keep the Light show on the BM day, and skip the festival? What do you think? The festival sounded like a fun night, but you're probably right; too much for one day. Decisions. . .