We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or Sherut?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Taxi or Sherut?

Hi,

Please help me to decide whether I should get a taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Jerusalem. My flight will be in July mid-week and arriving in the evening. I hear the traffic is even more heavy in Jerusalem because of the light rail delays so Im wondering if the sherut will take longer than normal.

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

If you are one or two people, definately take a sherut. Even if there is traffic getting to Jerusalem will be delayed in either mode of transporation. However, note that if you are the first in the sherut you will need to wait for it to fill up and if you are at the last hotel on the route you will have a tour of the city, thus a sherut theoretically can take more time due to these two factors. If you are family with kids, definately take a taxi.

Chana

Israel

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

Thanks Chana,

Im going to the Old City and need to get dropped of early. Is the Old City an early drop of for sherut or can one pay a little extra to get dropped of first. Also the other thing about the sherut filling up, can say 8 people pay extra to make up the 10 people fare to get the sherut going?

I checked Nesher site but cant see any info fares, what is the current sherut fare from BG to J'lem. Also what is the current set taxi fare.

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

The Sherut does not go the Old City. You will have to get there from one of the other stops either by foot or by taxi. Are you staying somewhere in the Old City or just going there to tour first thing in the morning? If you are staying in a hotel in the new city, go there and put your luggage in storage and then continue to the Old City. The sherut is 55 shekels per person. I would assume that if you wanted to pay for people who aren't in the sherut you could, but it would be sor to silly. They fill up quite fast (within 10-15 minutes is the usual time and sometimes earlier).

If time is an element and you need to be at the Old City then a taxi will be quicker by far.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

The sherut will take you to one of the entrances to the old city but will not go in. You can NOT pay to be the first drop off. The driver arranges the route in what is the most logical method taking into account traffic patterns and where people are going. They also try to group people in a vehicle that is going to more or less the same area. So, if you are going to the Old City, odds are you will not be stopping in Bayit Vegan or Har Nof. But, you may be stopping at all the major hotels ( Dan Panorama, Kings, Royale, Inbal etc. enroute to the Old city.

You can definitely pay for "missing people" Whether you pay all by yourself or are able to convince others in the vehicle to share the cost is dependent upon the others and how much of a hurry they are in.

I also assume since you are coming from the airport you have luggage. BTW taxis are flat fare, so traffic doesn't matter. Where in the old city are you going? Not every hotel/hostel in the old city is accessible by vehicles. Also, if the driver has no idea where it is and you can't direct he may opt not to take you to its' front door.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

I have to disagree with Chana - waiting for the sherut to fill up can take a long time, especially if you are first. What I usually do is go to the sherut - if it doesn't fill up in 10 minutes, I get off and take a taxi. If you are pressured, time-wise, to get to the Old City, just go directly to the taxi rank.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

Thanks everyone for all your help. Need to get to Jaffa Gate but dont need to be driven into Old City. What is the flat fare for the taxi and whats the name of the offical taxis? Travelling very light, not much luggage.

Thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

If you want a taxi you do NOT let anyone who approaches you and offers a ride give you one. You follow the signs to the Taxi stand and the dispatcher will put you in an official taxi. There is one company, I think Hadar who has the account but over the years if the airport is very very busy, cabs from other companies have been allowed to take passengers. ( ie. my driver from Netanya was asked if he would take passengers back to Netanya) HOWEVER, when this occurs the other drivers are dispatched by the same dispatcher via the same line!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,939 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

Just do as rdglady said. There is one official taxi stand and it doesn't matter if the taxi is from Hadar (the company that has the contract for airport taxis) or another company that is on the official line.

Taxi fare from the airport to Jerusalem is 247 NIS daytime, 295 NIS nights and Shabbat. There is a small additional charge of about 5 NIS for each piece of luggage.

The dispatcher will tell you the fare before you leave and will make sure that is what you will be charged.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

DE's many thanks for your help, Im really looking forward to my trip to Israel!

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi or Sherut?

The owner of the apartment I'll be renting in Jerusalem has recommended a taxi driver to me to pre-arrange. Is this not a proper or safe thing to do?

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Jerusalem