We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Herzl

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Herzl

Hello

Does anyone know the hours on FRIDAYS for the Herzl National Cemetery and the adjoining Military Cemetery? I know the hours for the Herzl Mueum but cannot find the hours for the two cemeteries. Thank you.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Herzl

The cemetery is open 0800-1645, and on Fridats 0800-1400. The military is open all the time.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Herzl

Thank you! I tried to find that information but just could not. Can I ask one more question--one of the sites discusses a Visitors Trail as follows:

. The marked Visitor’s Trail takes you from the entrance of the cemetery past many of the monuments and graves of the well known people buried here. The monuments passed on the trail include memorials for Jewish soldiers who fell in other armies during World War II, the Garden of the Missing in Action, Victims of Acts of Terror memorial, memorial for the Last of Kin, and the commemoration site for immigrants from Ethiopia. The trail loops around and ends at the entrance to the cemetery.

Does that suggest that the Visitor's Trail covers both the National Cemetery (where the leaders of the country are buried) and the military cemetery (where I assume the various memorials discussed above are located)? Finally, how long do you think a visit to both would take.

Right now I am planning on visiiting Herzl on a Friday and have the following schedule:

Herzl Museum Tour (confirmed reservation) 8:45-9:45 AM

Herzl Cemetery and Military Cemetery 9:45 AM-10:45 AM

Yad Vashem 11 AM-2 PM (closing time)

Do you think tgat is a reasonable schedule?

Thanks!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,093 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Herzl

It's doable but you might regret not having more time at Yad Vashem.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Herzl

I would reiterate mbgg's comments re not having enough time at Yad Vashem. When we visited we did a tour and then spent ages outside looking at all the different memorials and monuments in the grounds, probably a total of 5 hours. We will be visiting again in October (but not doing a tour this time) in order to spend more time revisiting the moving and amazingly designed Valley of the Communities and other sites. You really need to do this at a slow pace to be able to comprehend the enormity of what is being presented. This time I also plan to visit the library to look at some Yiskor books which are not widely available in Australia.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Herzl

We just got back from Jerusalem and combined a visit to the Herzl Museum with a visit to the cemetary and Yad Vashem. A visit to the Herzl Museum will take about an hour (make reservations via the internet or phone them as I did). They start tours at 08.45 a.m.

I think you can have a look around the cemetary and visit the grave of Herzl and the heads of state in one hour.

However, we visited Yad Vashem from 11.00 to 14.00 hours and that is way too short. There is so much to see if you really want to get a good overview of the Holocaust. We also experienced we needed time to absorb and comprehend what Yad Vashem offers. We actually decided to revisit a couple of days later to finish what we did not see or visit.

If you have to stick to visiting Friday I would advise to just visit Yad Vashem and skip the Herzl Museum.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Herzl

Olaf

Thank you for your comments. I believe you and others are absolutely right and have rearranged our schedule to give us a solid five hours at Yad Vashem. I was in Israel many years ago *when I was just 15) and remember a small amount about Yad Vashem but know it will be a moving experience for me. Thank you for taking the time to help me make the right decision.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,919 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Herzl

There is a whole new large and moving section to Yad V'shem that didn't exist years ago. This may be why you don't remember having that much to visit.

8. Re: Mount Herzl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:16