We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
432 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

While I know that there have been many questions asked on the general subject, the answers I have found on this site are: (1) taxis do run on Shabbat; (2) taxis do not run on Shabbat; (3) taxis may run on Shabbat; and (4) why not just walk (-:

So, cwould someone PLEASE give me the definitive answer: will I be able to get a taxi on Saturday morning from Jaffa Gate to go to Chapel of the Ascenscion on Mount of Olives? And if so, what would you estimate the correct fare should be?

I know I can always walk it but it seems Mount of Olives would be more fun walking down than walking up!

Thanks.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

You should have no problems. Many taxis are driven by non-Jews, especially around the Old City gates. I haven't been to the Jaffa gate since the major renovations, but I assume you can get a taxi at some point outside the gate. If not, go to the Damascus gate.

When I did this in 2006 the cost was about $7USD. I would guess the cost is a couple of bucks more now. Set a price with the driver before you get into the taxi; out of earshot of other drivers, if possible.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

Taxis run on Shabbat. I am curious as to which threads say they don't ( because I would go and post a correction) They are more expensive on Sat. --but they run. Drivers may be non-Jewish ( Arab, by and large) or irreligious Jews. You would get a taxi outside the old city. The taxis by the Jaffa Gate are all headed INTO the old city!

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
432 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

THNK YOU. Could you clarify one thing--since I am staying right next to the Jaffa Gate are you saying that those taxis would not take me to Mount of Olives? If so, where should I get the taxi. By the way, I should have been more precise--it was not this forum that conmtained the contradictory information. It was when I googled the question that the issue arose. It should just teach me to always rely on this site. Thanks for helping with the above clarification.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

Just walk a couple of minutes down to the main road that goes past the old city, and you will find taxis that will take you to any place you want, on any day of the week except YomKippur!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

lol--, of course always rely on us here. Seriously, because this site is so active and because so many of us are constantly posting--errors posted by one person ( and we have ALL made errors) are quickly caught by another!

You will see, once in Israel that the road IN the Old City is as I described. However cabs are a moment or two away. RELAX it is easy and once you are there and actually see the"lay of the land" it will all work out. In addition, you hotel may have a taxi(s) that they use and trust that they can call for you.

Edited: 25 September 2011, 13:09
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

Taxis from inside the Jaffa gate are notorious for overcharging. I once argued with a guide friend of mine about this. As an experiment, we tried to get a taxi from the Jaffa gate to King George Street. We tried this for over half an hour. Not one driver would use the meter and every single one wanted to charge at least double and most often more what the meter rate would have been. My friend, who lives in Jerusalem was appalled.

Be sure to get a price in advance quoted in shekels.

In general, Jerusalem drivers of every stripe are great. Just this particular spot is such a tourist trap.

In any other spot other than the Jaffa Gate, should a driver offer a price off the meter, insist that you need a receipt then they don't argue about using the meter.

Except on Yom Kippur you can get taxis at pretty much anytime of day or night flagging them down off main roads. Off hours and on Shabbat it might take a little longer but people do it all the time.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
432 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

Thank you so much. I was doing some reserach and discovered another option--walking to the Damascus Gate bus station and taking Arab Bus 75 to Mount of Olives. As far as I can tell, Arab buses run on Shabbat and so this would work I think. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

Just to note about the meter- It is the law they have to put on the meter, do NOT take any taxi who won't puyt on the meter, simply get out and try someone else. If it's a 'crew' of taxi friends hanging out, just have your hotel front desk call you a taxi. ALWAYS USE THE METER.

9. Re: Taxi From Jaffa Gate To Mount of Olives on Shabbat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 10:18