We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighborhood in Jerusalem

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
neighborhood in Jerusalem

Hello TA,

Thank you in advance to anyone who might be able to answer my questions.

I am looking to rent a house/apartment in Jerusalem for 7 days in April (right after Pesach), what is the best neighborhood to stay in? There will be 8 of us, 4 adults & 4 children (ages 8-13), we will want to be in an area where we can walk to the majority of activities and sites.

Thank you again for your time and expertise.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

Any house which advertises as being walking distance from the Old City is good. It may be Rechavia, it may be Talbyiah. Why not find a few that look interesting and share addresses with us. We can then tell you if you are walking distance from many activities and sites. Note: there are some things you want to see that WILL require a bus, light rail or taxi!

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

Rechavia is a centrally-located neighborhood close to many major sites.

troy mi
Level Contributor
914 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

But advertised "walking distance...." is a common and potentially misleading term - make sure you get an address and check for yourself. I would agree with others plus the German Colony and locations on Emek Refaim. Not too many desirable locations in west Jerusalem are that walkable to the Old City. If you see something in Yemin Moshe, that would be an exception

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

In my opinion it's best for you to rent a place close to city center, and main transportation roots. Emek Refaim is a very nice and cool place, but if you are orthodox religious family you might prefer Geula, that is more "Haredic". You can find advices also here:

http://www.shiagetter.com/

Enjoy your stay!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

What activities and sites are you particularly interested in? That will help narrow the choices for apartement locations.

Are you sure you want to walk everywhere? Jerusalem is built on hills. Which means lots of up and down walking. Except for the Old City, other attractions are pretty spread out.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

David--you joined TA to recommend a company. Have you used this company? Do you use it as an owner or a renter. ( I see the company owners are also Brits)

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

Thank you all. We are still having difficulty finding a hotel or apt in Jerusalem for our group of 8. 2 families of 4. There are not many hotels with "family rooms" and finding an apartment 4/18-24 has proved to be more difficult then expected. But we keep searching. I will post addresses here when I find some locations. Thank you again.

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

Try this one:

sharonsplaces.com/jerusalem-vacation-apartme…

To my opinion one of the best in Jerusalem and suites yur needs.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

I know a large family who used sharonsplaces (the one recommended by motibt) last summer and they just loved the apartment. One of the apartments is quite large and might meet your needs. That is the one my friends used.

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: neighborhood in Jerusalem

Take the one in Zamenhof!

Very big, beautiful, centraly located (5min walk from Jaffa Gate), nice garden in the second jewish neighborhood out side of the wall!

The only problem I can think of is parking ...