We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Topic
Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

Bad news for tourists wanting to see the Temple Mount, the Mughrabi Bridge has been closed

haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/hamas-isr…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,409 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

It would have been worse news had someone been waiting on the bridge and it collapsed. Sometimes we need to keep things in perspective. I can appreciate the desire of many to visit but at what cost?

11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

When I visited a few months ago, I was shocked at the poor condition that the bridge was in. It needed to be replaced or repaired. I am now wondering if it will ever be replaced and how that will affect tourism (if at all).

3. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2011, 15:03
San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

I'd love to see a better-designed solution to providing access to the Temple Mount. That bridge is not only rickety, but a terrible eyesore amidst the beauty of the Western Wall, the plaza, the Dome of the Rock & Aqsa Mosque.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,409 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

The wooden bridge was always designed to be a temporary solution. It is well past its' planned life span.

The below article gives a clear history of what is going on, Yes, I know there are parts that are very much told from an Israeli POV--however, the factual items in this piece are more complete than in anything else I found. Please lets not turn this into a political debate.

www.jcpa.org/JCPA/Templates/ShowPage.asp…

UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

sparkoc - yes a better designed bridge would be great but I hope that until that is done access can be provided to tourists to this wonderful site.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

If the Mughabi Bridge stays closed and thus prevents visitors to the Temple Mount would I be correct in assuming that the two best view sof the Mount would be from the Ramparts and Mount of Olives? I know the North Ramparts stops at Lions Gate but it seems there would be a reasonably good view from there.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

As I understand it, this bridge was built to allow non-Muslims to enter the Temple Mount. The Islamic Authority (Wakf) which governs the Temple Mount area does not allow non-Muslims to enter through the 10 gates which allow access to the Temple Mount for Muslims.

So I suppose Muslim tourists can still access the site while the bridge is being repaired/replaced.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 10:54
Gl3
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

Willie, try the roof of the Aish HaTorah complex. Costs 10 NIS but they've got binoculars. From the other side I would imagine the Augusta Victoria tower gives a great view if you've got binoculars or a camera with a strong zoom, but their elevator wasn't working when I was there so I can't say for sure.

Other options with a small fee: Lutheran Church tower; Ecce Homo rooftop (not sure if they let 'outsiders' up, but if you've paid the entrance fee to the excavations it's definitely worth asking); the Hurva (I presume; the last stairs weren't for people with vertigo).

Free: rooftops over the shuk, David's Tomb, and the Austrian Hospice; top of various stairs to the Western Wall Plaza; Mount of Olives; peeking through the gates that are only open to Muslims (choose a calm day -- not a Friday or holy day, or a day when feelings are running high for some reason -- don't go too close, and make sure the security guards understand that you only intend to peek).

Can't remember how much you can see from the ramparts. I suspect the closer parts aren't high enough to see much more than roofs and trees.

(And yes, folks, I'll try to get some trip reports written as soon as I've caught up with things; right now I'm swamped.)

10. Re: Mughrabi Bridge to Temple Mount is Closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 December 2011, 17:05