We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

My wife and I will be traveling in Israel for 2-weeks in May. I have been to Israel many times as a back packer in my youth. This is the first for my wife. We are planning on doing a mix of luxury accommodations and more traditional back-packer style like when I bummed around Israel.

Because I want to show her as much as I can, I am renting a car for 14 days to quickly get us from place to place.

We plan to stay at the Abraham Hostel for 3 nights in Jerusalem as part of our back-packer portion of the trip. I know that this is right in the heart of the city.

Am I even crazy for thinking that I will be able to find a spot for my car while I am there? All I want to do is park it once in a spot for 3 days and leave it there until we are ready to leave. Are there any paid parking spots where I could leave it? Even if it is kind of expensive, I don't mind.

I do have an alternative. I have family in Rehovot that I will be visiting. If necessary, I could leave the car there and take the bus to Jerusalem. The only issue with that is that it would involve having to take the bus back to get my car and resume the rest of our trip, where the next destination is the Dead Sea. So we would definitely be going backwards before we could go forwards again.

I am not totally against having to do this, but based off of the responses that I get here, I think I might just have to.

Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Ryan

Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

I am not sure whether you are getting a better rate because it's a 14 day rental, but if not, could you drop off the car when you arrive in Jerusalem and initiate a new rental when you leave?

That's what we did. After spending two car-free nights in Tel Aviv, we had a rental for Tuesday through Thursday, picking up in Tel Aviv and dropping off in Jerusalem, for our swing through the desert. Then we spent four nights in Jerusalem, and picked up a car again on Monday for our four days in the North, dropping off at the airport.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

Since you asked - the simple answer is yes - there is no way you will easily or readily find parking near the Abraham Hostel for three days - it will be a major production to find parking there even for a few hours - there are paid parking lots in the area and I'm guessing you should be able to arrange to leave the car there for a few days, though I have no idea how much they will charge.

Schlimazel's idea is a good one - why hold on to the car? Return it and rent again when you are ready to leave the city.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

Actually, I got an incredible rate for my car for the 14 days. I do not really want to bother with having to turn it in and picking up a new one. Now that I posted this, it has really made me think about how much I enjoyed travelling by bus when I was younger, and that maybe this is an experience that I should give to my wife.

It may be a bit of an inconvenience for our schedule, but nothing that we can't live with. Still though, if someone here has a parking solution, I am more than eager to hear about it.

Thanks for your suggestion :)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

Why not start the trip in Jerusalem and pick up the car when you leave the city ? I'm sure that they will give your the same rate for 10 days :-)

Travelling the bus is an interesting experience, but it will cut down the efficiency of your tour tremendously, especially if you want to see the sites in the Galilee and the Golan, where bus service off the main roads is very limited. You said "I want to show her as much as I can".

Edited: 09 January 2012, 14:56
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

I have tried to plan our time there every which way and I have it down to what I think is the best, it was just this car issue that I was worried about.

for the 14 days that I will have the car I am only paying $200, so I do not mind letting it sit. If I have to pick up the car at the airport and leave it in Jerusalem and then pick it up again after 3 days I won't be able to get the same rate.

I am starting the trip in Tel Aviv because my cousin lives there, I have no family in Jerusalem. Here is my basic touring schedule in a nutshell as it stand right now.

2 nights in Tel Aviv then

3 nights in Jerusalem then

2 nights at the Dead Sea

Then south to Moshav Paran where my uncle lives for 2 nights

Then to Eilat for 3 nights

Back to Rehovot or Tel Aviv for a night, dinner with family

Head north to Tiberias and Kiryat Shemona for our last nights.

I have it planned this particular way for various reasons I won't go into, it mainly revolves around where we will be for our first Shabbat of the trip, as I want to spend that with family, and the geography of where they are in relation to our other destinations.

Perhaps I will look into just dropping the car off, if I can get the same rates then that would solve my problems...hmmm this is why I love these forums, so many good ideas.

Thanks for the advice :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,420 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

$200 for 14 days seems way way too low. Who are you renting from and are you positive that rate includes all the necessary insurances? I hate to be a party pooper, but something doesn't sound right.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

Wynchester,

If you're willing to park further away from that area, you can find parking. (But be careful - some parking is metered during the day with time limits.)

We had a car in Jerusalem in Rechavia, a neighborhood right outside the center. Parking was a pain, but doable. On some days, we needed to be up before 8 to move the car or pay the meter.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

Keep in mind that if you are using metered parking you cannot pay for an entire day in advance - there will be either a 2, 3 or 4 hour limit - so that is not a solution for leaving the car there for an extended period.

9. Re: Parking in Jerusalem...crazy thought?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 10:20