We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elderly tourist

Renton, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
elderly tourist

I am like Joe's Mom, walking but slow and tires easily at 80 yrs old. I have a folding scooter , 35 lbs and can carry up & down stairs of 6 steps, max. I am Catholic, so what places can I see? Is Via Dolorosa doable by scooter? How much would a rental car cost to Cana and sea of Galilee? What Hotel in Jerusalem would you recommend that;s closest to the Catholic sites?

Rey

Mentioned in this post
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: elderly tourist

The streets of Old Jerusalem are cobbled, narrow, and many have a step every few meters. The streets are crowded with people most of the day. This video gives you an idea (although there are very few pedestrians):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePvK1HuEzY

Rental car: All of the major companies have branches here. I suggest that you contact your local offices to get prices or ask your travel agent.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: elderly tourist

To give a more direct answer - no - you cannot do the Via Dolorosa by scooter as many sections of it are stepped. I have seen people in a wheelchair do this - but only when there is someone with them to either push the chair or carry it when necessary.

With this limitation in mind, you would be able to visit a good number of the Christian sites in Jerusalem, but again there would limitations. With a taxi you would be able to get to Mt. of Olives and the Church of Gethsemane - there is access without steps to that church. You would be able to follow the Via Dolorosa up to the 5th station before encountering stairs. Can also visit the St. Anne's and the Pools of Bethesda.

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre would require you to have some assistance as there is no way you can reach it without having to negotiate stairs. You would be able to see the Stone of Unction and the site of the sepulchre but not the Golgotha (Calvary) as that requires a very steep staircase. The Room of the Last Supper would also prove to be a challenge - again requiring to go up 2 flights of steps.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Mount of Olives
Mount of Olives
3,477 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Church of the Holy...
5,415 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elderly tourist

In Jerusalem, the Notre Dame Center has a lovely hotel with elevators and a fine view from the roof. It is just outside the New Gate of the Old City and very close to the Franciscan center inside the Old City. There are also hospices inside the Old City, thus closer to the Christian sites, but I don't know if they have elevators.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Notre Dame Guest House
Notre Dame Guest House
666 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,387 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,718 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elderly tourist

There are many Catholic sites outside the walls of Jerusalem all within close proximity of many hotels. I would recommend the Olive Tree which is very close to Damascus Gate and easy to get to the churches outside the city walls by taxi. As Oreet has mentioned inside the Old City you will have great difficulties in reaching the important sites due to access only by steps.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,387 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: elderly tourist

we have reservations at a Telaviv hotel for a 16 day stay and intend to make this our base for "exploring" Israel, mainly by means of day tours. We are Jewwish and have been to Israel before .... one of us (me) in 1988 and on a 10 day tour , and we'd like to see as much as possible all ersatz. Suggestions please ... and not too expensive.

Lutz&Erica Edmonton Canada

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: elderly tourist

Rey,

I don't know if this option is in your budget, but during my research for my trip I came across a private guide who indicated that he was "able to provide touring services with wheelchair/scooter lift vans from 3 people to 12 people including wheelchair users. Buses with lifts can also be arranged for up to 48 passengers. Itineraries and accessible hotel arrangements are tailored to your specific interests and needs."

Maybe it would help to work with someone like this?

Depending on how large the group is that you are traveling with, it might or might not be cost-effective for you. It was not for us.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: elderly tourist

Lutz & Erica:

First of all, I suggest that you start a new thread because the "experts" may not check this old one again and will not see your question.

As to your question - you don't say when you will be coming, what your ages are and what your interests are - history, religion, nature, food, beach, etc, etc., and whether you are considering renting a car.

In general, it is not a good idea to spend all 16 days in Tel-Aviv. I understand that you are not enthusiastic about changing hotels, but you will spend a lot of time on the road as a result. I recommend three bases - Tel-Aviv, Jerusalem and somewhere in the Galilee, e.g. Kfar Blum, Rosh Pina, Tiberius, etc.

If you are considering a series of one and two-day tours over a period of 16 days, then I suggest that you look for a 10-12 day organized tour. The reason is that the one-day tours are very inefficient. They waste a lot of time picking up and dropping off people at multiple locations and the people on the tour are usually an eclectic lot - different ages, interests and languages. You can easily find an organized tour that visits sites that are of interest to you, that goes at your pace and with like-minded people. You will see a lot more because the bus picks up everybody at one location only every morning.

There is no problem seeing the big cities and the coastal region on your own; buses, trains and taxis are cheap and efficient. But if you want to see the north on your own (Galilee & Golan) then I strongly suggest renting a car because public transport in this area is very inefficient.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: elderly tourist

Just to echo MBGG--please give more details in your own thread!

9. Re: elderly tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 10:33