We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Converter/Adapter

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Converter/Adapter

I will need an Adapter/Converter for when I will need to recharge my iPod/back massager when I am visiting Jerusalem next month.

I checked with Radio Shack and they cost $49+tax just for the converter. I would hate to pay for something I will only use once.

That said, is there any place where I can "rent" these gadgets from, inexpensively?

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

check your ipod - it is most likely dual voltage in which case all you need is a plug adapter.

Not sure about your back massager, but it may also be the same and if not, and it doesn't draw much power, you should be able to charge it in your hotel room - most hotel rooms will usually have one American outlet in the bathroom which may be all you need.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

SO many thanks for your great and kindest reply. I will rest easy then.

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

Please don't assume anything about electrical appliances - check it out so you don't accidentally "fry" your electronics. You can also find plug adapters and converters here once you arrive - for much less than what you noted.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

Look very closely at the information on each item. You may need a magnifying glass (I do).

My guess would be that the Ipod can charge on 220v. You would merely need a plug adapter for the Ipod.

I would guess that the massager runs only on 110v. That needs a voltage converter to turn the 220v you find in Israel into 110v it uses. Plug it in directly and you'll fry it.

You might find your hotel has a masseuse. You won't have to carry one of those with you.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

I do not know what you looked at at RAdio Shack. $46 is ridiculous. Here

http://tinyurl.com/73hxlph

BTW--a decent hotel as Oreet said as a 110 Volt plug in the bathroom It says for shavers but any low wattage appliance can use it.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

You can get an Adapter/Converter at Walmart for about $20.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

Using a massager with the bathroom 110V outlet may not be possible as the wattage that that outlet takes is no more than what an electric shaver uses. Additionally any appliance with a motor will not work to capacity as the appliance is built to work on 50 cycles and in Israel we have 60 cycles which will make the motor work slower (this is also in the 110V outlet). A converter does not change the cycles only the voltage.

Chana

Israel

8. Re: Renting a Converter/Adapter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:40