We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

Hello, I am sorry I do not navigate the internet very well. I am told there is a Tourisim office in Jerusalem that gives out free walking maps of the area (particularly the key Christian or non-Christian sites).

However, I'd like to know in advance if someone knows of an internet link that I can print or view at home. ALSO, is there a place I can send for the map (for fee is okay). A simple MAP would suffice, I find it hard to read elaborate maps.

I would like to make the most of my visit to Jerusalem in June and while I do intend to join a paid 1/2 Day Tour of Jerusalem, I would also appreciate having a map for myself to view the places I'd either like to visit or re-visit. That way I am not going from one end to the other wasting time. Be nice to cluster the sites whilst in that area.

Thank you very much.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,026 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

The maps on Google Maps are usually quite good and you can zero in on the Old City in their Jerusalem map.

The place you are asking about is the Government Tourist Office - it is located just inside the Jaffa Gate in the Old City - probably right near where your tour will start. As you walk in the Jaffa Gate on your left are two tourist information offices. The first one is a private, commercial venture - the second one is where you will get your free map and lots of other free information.

England, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

The Christian Information Centre opposite and slightly to the right of you as you enter the old city through Jaffa Gate will have lots of infomation to interest you. In particular I have found their lists of church 'opening days/times' very useful.

http://www.cicts.org/

You might like to look at this map - the old city inset highlights Christian sites/churches in the old city. Do not miss St Alexander's (Russian church), opposite the Lutheran Chuch, it is magnificant - women need to wear skirts below the knees (not trousers), but these are provided.

visitpalestine.ps/resources/…20Land.pdf

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

I would like to visit the Russian Church but changing from trousers into skirt might be somewhat cumbersome.

Thank you.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

>I would like to visit the Russian Church but changing from trousers into skirt might be somewhat cumbersome.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No problem, they will loan you a skirt you can put on over your pants.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

Or just wear a skirt that day.

Douglas Duckett

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

Many churches give you a wrap around skirt. You make a donation so bring some coins when visiting churches. You can wear pants and put the skirt on over top. You will see lots of people do that. When you leave the church, you just return the skirt.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

That is so awesome, I really cannot wait! I am eagerly awaiting for my trip. Now, do all churches require you to wear skirt? I don't own any skirts, but I might get one, also the wrap is a really nice idea, I might want a wrap for myself as memento. Such a beautiful country to visit, like I said, I cannot wait. I don't know why I waited this long, but later is better than never. God bless Israel! Thank you.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

I think the Russian churches are really the only ones who require a skirt. Many will require that shoulders be covered and legs be covered to below the knee.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

I see. Thanks for the headsup. I have so fallen in love with a country I have yet to see. Thanks to the wonderful people who contribute to TripAdvisors, that's is largely a part of it.

PS - No problem with attire in that manner. I am somewhat conservative and prudish, so sleeves and scarf will not be a problem.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Map - Walking Guide to Christian Places in Jerusalem

I think there are other churches in Jerusalem that requre skirts as well. I am not Christian so, regretably, haven't got this info in my head, but know that going into a church along the via dolorosa, required a skirt and there was a church which had an access to an underground water cistern which also required a skirt. I usually wear shorts in Israel while touring (the heat is a lot for us Canadians) but at every location where it was required, I could borrow a skirt. I always carry a light scarf to cover my shoulders and arms though. It is easy to pack it into my purse for the day.

You definitely do not need a skirt for the Church of the Holy Sepelchre so each place is different.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 15:59