We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

I will be in Jerusalem a total of two Fridays. I am a little curious when they say "Everything is closed" and it comes to mind a place that is stark, cold and gray. Will the tour groups still be operating? So far I have not read any of the tour groups saying they are not operating during Shabbat. Will there be eateries that are open? Are all the merchants at rest during this period?

Thank you if someone could please explain.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,597 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

Relax - the city does not shut down - and you'll see a lot is open

There is no public transit in West Jerusalem - Arab buses operate, taxis are available almost everywhere.

Tours continue to operate as normal.

In the Old City, most sites in the Jewish Quarter are closed as are all the restaurants in the Jewish Quarter. Restaurants, etc in the other quarters are open as usual.

The Tower of David Museum and the Ramparts Walk are open.

The Kotel - Western Wall is always open.

Also - the Israel Museum, the Museum of Islamic Art are open.

In Moslem areas all restaurants, etc are open. In Jewish areas the kosher restaurants and most shops are closed, the non-kosher restaurants are open.

Plenty to do and see

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

Also, it is not "cold, stark or grey." People are strolling about, green parks are open. It will be no colder or greyer than on any other day (if you are going any time within the next 6 months, it will likely not be grey at all, although it can get cool in the evenings).

Also, Friday mornings and early afternoon are bustling with activity. Stop my Machena Yehudah for some pre-Shabbat action.

3. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 April 2012, 23:25
Edited: 27 April 2012, 23:25
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

The advice above was regarding Saturdays. Everything is open on Fridays, but many sites close earlier than on a weekday - check the websites. Public transportation runs all day until an hour before sundown.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,677 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

If you are planning to visit the Dead-Sea-Massada as a day trip from Jerusalem Shabat is perfect for that. So is a tour of Beitlechem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,804 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

I would never use the word barren to describe Jerusalem as the Sabbath comes in. A special kind of peace descends over the city as traffic diminishes and almost disappears. Everyone, even non-Jews or non-observant can sense it.

Take a walk ( or earlier bus) down to the Western WAll to watch hundreds welcoming the Sabbath. Just remember that there are no cameras, cellphones, smoking in that area on the Sabbath. Likewise if you walk back through the Jewish Quarter cameras, cellphones etc. should not be used out of respect.

7. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 April 2012, 23:26
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

Thank you. Everything is taken into heart.

Also, the proposed TRIP to the Dead Sea was planned but are you meaning to go on a Friday, or a Saturday as the better day?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

Thank you. I am taking everything into heart.

Does this mean that Saturday is best for these Day Trips (or Friday)? I'm not sure from reading.

I actually have 2 long Day Trips planned (a) Masada/Dead Sea and (b) Caesaria/Haifa, etc. (alternate days).

I have not planned on Tiberius/Nazareth, but feel I am short-changing myself if I do not take this 3rd Day Trip.

Total of 3 Day Trips. I hope I have the strength to do all three.

THANK YOU.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,804 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What really to expect during Shabbat if you are a Tourist

Do Masada on Saturday. It is 100% open.