We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

Chennai
Level Contributor
10 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

My flt gets into Ben Gurion Airport at 4 AM and I plan taking a shuttle to Jerusalem and reach there by around 6 AM. Looking for some reasonable but clean place to take a shower, relax for 2 - 3 hours and then take a walking Tour of the Old City. Plan leaving for Eilat by 2 PM. Any suggestions ?

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,283 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Good Jacob Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
HaimToGo
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Explore Israel with Michal
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Ari Bar-Ilan: Your Israel Private Tour Guide
Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,673 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

I doubt you will something that fits your schedule. Why not go directly to Eilat and then to Jerusalem on your way back to the airport? You can call the Gloria hotel or Ecce Homo guest house to see if they have day rates.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Gloria Hotel
Gloria Hotel
428 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
NYC area
Level Contributor
430 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

I am not familiar with Ben Gurion Airport. However, I believe that would be the best area to find what you are looking for. I am sure that other travelers have been in similar situations.

Sorry. Just read responses from Destination Experts indicating they do not have these facilities at Ben Gurion.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 12:39
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,364 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

Another place to try would be the Abraham Hostel - perhaps they have some arrangements for your situation. Otherwise, I have never heard of any hotels in Jerusalem that have anything available for either a half day or an hourly basis.

There are no airport hotels and nothing near the airport - so nothing at all like what you may find in some European locations where you can rent for a short term at an airport facility.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
2,204 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

OceansBobbie - sorry, but the airport is pretty useless for what the OP is looking for.

I would also second Chana's recommendation to fly directly to Eilat, and then come see Jerusalem on the way home, preferably for more than 1/2 a day!\

Or, whirlwindexplorer - if you write us your complete itinerary, we might be able to make some suggestions as how to best incorporate Jerusalem.

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Chennai
Level Contributor
10 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

Thanks for the inputs.

My Flight lands at Ben Gurion at 4 AM and I need to be at Eliat only by evening for a conference. I understand Ben Gurion is very well connected to Jerusalem by shuttle buses/vans and they take about an hour.

As such, I could be at Jerusalem by say 6 AM and would like to take a shower, relax say for 3 hours, have breakfast and then take a walking tour of the Old City say from 9 AM - 1 PM. Around 2 PM I plan taking a bus to Eliat and arrive there by 6 PM..

Does this itinerary sound doable and realistic ?

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,283 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

The problem with your plan is that the shuttle buses (called sherut - shared taxi) might take quite a while to fill up - they need 10 people before they leave, and you also might end up being the last one dropped off. So although you land at 4, you might not get to Jerusalem before 7 or even later. You really only have time for an early breakfast and then the walking tour. You will be absolutely exhausted, but at least that means you will sleep on the bus to Eilat!!

So the only question is where to leave your luggage, as you surely don't want to carry it with you.

One of the companies that does a walking tour that would suit you is Zion Walking Tours http://zionwt.dpages.co.il/apage/62770.php who come highly recommended. They have a 3-hour walking tour at 10:00, so that would give you enough time to get a taxi or the light rail back to the Central Bus Station to get your bus to Eilat (which needs to be booked in advance). I called Zion walking tours just to see whether you might be able to leave your bags at their office during the tour. They said yes you could. Only thing is you need to book the tour at least a day or more in advance, and if, on the day, they do not have enough people for the tour (3 is the minimum), you would be able to take them privately (it would cost you the price for 3 people - $95 total)

Edited: 06 May 2012, 13:16
Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Eilat
Eilat
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
164 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

Several comments:

- if your conference starts "in the evening", you need time to go from the Eilat bus station to your hotel, check in and then go to your conference.

- Assuming the arriving at 6PM is adequate for the above, the bus takes 5 hrs (not 4). There is a bus at 10AM that arrives at 3PM and a bus at 2PM that arrives at 7 PM. So only the 10 AM is suitable for you.

- to catch this bus you would have to leave the Old City around 9AM to go back to the bus station ....

In summary, it is not worthwhile.

What I suggest is take the train to Tel-Aviv and catch a bus to Eilat. Buses leave at 8:00, 9:30, 11:00 and 12:30. The last one arrives about 17:45. I would take an earlier bus and then relax and shower in Eilat in the afternoon.

Another alternative is to spend the day in Tel-Aviv and the fly from Sde-Dov airport to Eilat (less than one hour).

Note that you have to book the bus to Eilat:

www.egged.co.il/Eng/main.asp…

You can find the schedules on the same site.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 13:26
Mentioned in this post
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,283 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,364 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

It sounds doable though the odds are that you will be exhausted and may not get much out of your Old City walking tour. Sandeman's has a free 2 hour walking tour of the Old City at 9 am and again at 11 am. I would recommend you go for the 9 am tour.

There are plenty of options for a delicious, very filling breakfast at any one of the coffee shops in the Mamilla Mall which is right next to the Jaffa Gate.

You can take the Nesher sherut (shared) taxi van from the airport to the Mamilla Mall, enjoy breakfast and then head out for the tour. The drawback is you will have to deal with your luggage as there really isn't any place to check it - and you will have to deal without a shower, etc. unless, of course, one of the hostels we mentioned will be able to work something out for you.

If you land at 4 am you will get to Jerusalem between 6 and 7 - check with the van driver in terms of places for breakfast - the Mamilla Mall options are not open quite that early, but will be open by 8 am.

One more note - since you are planning to take a bus to Eilat - the routes to Eilat are the only buses that require reserving a seat so check on the Egged website and try to take care of that.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 13:29
Mentioned in this post
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,283 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Mamilla Mall
Mamilla Mall
365 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Eilat
Eilat
Jaffa Gate Hostel
Jaffa Gate Hostel
109 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Chennai
Level Contributor
10 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

Thanks so much. I now have clarity and will book the Bus tickets and also the walking tour well in advance.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,364 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in the Old City on a Half Day/Hourly basis ?

Just to clarify the 2 pm bus from Jerusalem gets to Eilat at 7 pm - so if you need to be there by 6 you need to take an earlier bus - which is at 10 am and arrives at 3 pm - which will then leave you virtually no time to spend in Jerusalem.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Eilat
Eilat