We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting Dollars into Shekels

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Converting Dollars into Shekels

Please help, my first time.

Using dollars as a guide, we have 5, 10 and 25 cents, then $1, $5, $10 and the $20 (and of course the 50 and the 100).

When converting into shekels at the airport, what should I expect?

What be the equivalent of a $1 and $5 bill in shekels and can I request them to give me smaller denominations, for taxi, food, etc.?

And since I am not coming into the country with any shekels, what is the average amount that a tourist will exchange for say, to use for the first week in order to avoid having to go back and forth to the ATM? Just for misc. items such as taxi, snacks, cheap souvenirs, etc.

I am also hoping to use my AMEX or MasterCard most of the time, if they will accept them.

Thank you for your kind help.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

Our coins are:

bronze color 10, 50 agorot (cents)

silver color 1, 2, 5, 10 shekel coins. The 1 is the smallest coin (smaller than the 50 agorot coin). The 10 is silver with bronze in the center, the 5 is not round.

Bills are 20, 50, 100, 200. Many times a vendor may not have change for a 200 but will go next door to get one. Don't use these for purchasing low cost items like for 10-20 shekels.

How much cash to hold on to depends on what you are doing with the cash. If you want to pay cash for meals, transportation and entrance fees, figure a minimum of 250 shekels per day per person and take it from there. Most places accept credit cards (not taxis) so that should not be a problem. It is best to use shekels as you know exactly how much you are paying and not the exchange rate a specific vendor has given you (which could potentially be high, but many times is the representative rate).

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

You can see photos of the bills here (click on 50, 100, 200 on the top to see the others):

bankisrael.gov.il/catal/eng/bill_all_eng.htm…

and the coins (click on 50 ag, 1, 5, 10 NIS to see the others):

bankisrael.gov.il/catal/eng/bill_all_eng.htm…

Note that the 1 and 5 agora coins (0.01 and 0.05 NIS) are no longer in circulation.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,756 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

Another interesting thing about shopping in stores. Even though there are no 1 and 5 agora coins, items may still be price 3.99. Therefore when at a store the 3.99 will be automatically rounded up to 4 shekels. Likewise if you buy a number of items and end up with a bill of 32.42 it will be rounded DOWN to 32.40!

Bottom line, like dollars and cents the money works on a decimal system. When at the airport I would take 100, 50 and 20 paper notes. I would take 5 and 10 shekel coins. The smaller stuff you'll get in change.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

Would it be prudent then to ask just for all in 20 shekels -- small denomination, do they frown at the exchange counter when you ask that? I will only need money for taxi and postcards. The rest I will use my credit card.

Are the exchange counters clearly marked?

As of today, how much is the dollar worth please? Thanks.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

The odds are that they will not be too happy in giving you all 20 shekel bills and it really isn't necessary - the most prevalent bill is probably the 50 and you will not have any trouble getting change from a 50 anywhere

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,756 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

There are also very few 20 NIS taxi rides. The commercial rate today was 3.81 shekel to the dollar which means you would probably get around 3.75. That makes a 20 NIS bill worth $5.33. So, if you only carry American fives, by all means get only 20 shekel bills, but since I am sure you carry larger American money a 50NIS worth $13 and change or a 100 shekel note worth $26 and change are much more realistic.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

I wished there was some kind of table conversion that I can have, even if it's not to the penny, just so I have a guide. I am afraid I am confused but not to say, inoperable. I will manage.

For example, a table that would say

$1 - xx shekels

$2 - xx shekels

Is there such a table online I can print out? Thanks.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

www.xe.com

It's really quite simple and nothing to worry about. One $ = approx 3.8 Shekalim.

If you see a price in Israel, say 100NIS, just take one third of it (33) and then subtract 20% of that total. In this case, it comes out to $26.40 where the actual exact amount would be $26.14....pretty close estimate.

Another example.....289 NIS in the store, using my guesstimate method = $77.07. The exact number is $75.54

Dr. Z

Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

Hi NemorY. Hope this table helps you

1USD = 3.83NIS

2USD = 7.66

3USD = 11.49

4USD = 15.32

5. = 19.15

6. = 22.98

7. = 26.81

8. = 30.64

9. = 34.46

10. = 38.29

I can do more for you if need be.

That conversion rate is current for may 19 but should remain steady depending on whether Greece stays in the Euro Zone I guess. Have a wonderful time on your trip and enjoy all your experiences. We are off to Israel this coming Wednesday.

UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Converting Dollars into Shekels

use a currency cheat sheet - you can get it via the following link

www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet?user=emea