We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

As I prepare for my trip, my friend is wishing me a Happy Trip and I told her about wanting to visit the Wailing Wall. She said that women were not allowed to be there, and that it was only for men? Is she correct?

Thank you.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

No, that is not true at all. Amazing as to what kind of misinformation is given by people.

The Wall, or Kotel, is open to me and women. It IS true that the sexes are segregated be a barrier, called a Mechitza. As you face the Kotel the women's side is to the right.

Enjoy.

Dr. Z

Miami
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

seeing is believing :-)

Have a great trip

blog.tapuz.co.il/zadok/images/563283_404.jpg

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

Note: the term "Wailing Wall" is not used; "Western Wall" is the correct name.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

I admit I don't hear it used that ofrten, but what's wrong with saying "Waiing Wall"?

FYI: In Hebrew, we say "Kotel"

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

Jews tend to avoid the term "Wailing Wall" ever since the 1967 Six Day War when the Temple Mount returned to Jewish sovereignty. Most Jews today feel that with Israel in control of the holiest accessible place on earth, there's no need to continue wailing, hence, the preferred term in English is "Western Wall."

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

Kotel just means wall. In Hebrew it's called - and always has been - Hakotel hama'aravi, which means "the Western Wall".

The Western Wall is accessible to all, 24/7, regardless of shape, size, colour, gender, age, religion or anything else. There is a partition between the men's section and the women's section. You could hardly find yourself in the wrong section; just follow the crowds, male or female as appropriate.

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

The term "Wailing Wall" refers to the fact that it is the last remnant of the destroyed Temple that would not be rebuilt until the return of the Messiah. The fact that Jews were prohibited from visiting it until Israel gained control of it in 1967 gave a secondary meaning to the name. Though it is rare to hear it referred to any more as the "Wailing Wall," you will often find it in pre-1967 books and articles, non-Jewish and Jewish sources alike.

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

And by the way, in addition to the exterior are of the Wall being segregated between men's and women's sections, only men are permitted to enter the far extreme left section that is a large interior area for prayer & study, which has tables and bookcases and lights.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

Unknown to most, there is also an indoor women's section on the extreme left--its entrance is through the men's section--but more towards the rear. There is also an indoor women's section on the far right front ( half hidden by the "temporary" ramp to the Temple Mount.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wailing Wall - Is it for Men Only?

Do people do bat mitzvah ceremonies on the women side?