We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

I was told to "round off" the taxi bill but I don't know what is a reasonable amount for rounding off.

Also, if I happen to have the exact change?

Assuming I am only taking the taxi within Jerusalem, perhaps between Harmony and Central Bus Station or the museums.

Thank you.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

There is no need to tip taxi drivers in Israel. It's not expected.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

Exact change is a good thing!

Getting around Jerusalem generally doesn't mean big fares or long rides. I find the prices to be very reasonable (incredibly reasonable compared to my own city). You pay what the metre says.

Edited: 28 May 2012, 14:13
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

When referring to "rounding off" the usual thought is at most 1-2 shekels of rounding - sometimes only 50 agorot, etc. not large sums.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

If the fare was 49 NIS, I would give the driver a 50 and tell him to keep the change.

If the fare was 48 NIS and he was very pleasant and helpful, I would give him a 50 and tell him to keep the change.

If the fare was 47NIS, I would give him a 50 and take the change.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

I am also wondering if any places will gladly accept dollar bills? If one is not too concerned about exact exchange rates.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

There are many places that will gladly accept dollar bills - in which case you can be assured of getting a terrible exchange rate. For the most part, smaller businesses will not accept dollars - it's not worth the hassle to the store owner to deal with dollars. The exchange rate fluctuates, the shekel has been doing better than the dollar, and for a small business owner, the fluctuations mean that he will have to go and exchange the dollars for shekalim that very same day.

You're much better off having shekalim on you. If you are charging your purchase then this is no longer an issue. Otherwise, as suggested often, get cash from an ATM or currency exchange.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

When in Israel, use shekels.

Using dollars is just giving your money away and not everyone accepts them.

8. Re: How much to tip a Taxi if you are handing a larger bill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:15