We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

modest dress--can i wear sheer?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
modest dress--can i wear sheer?

I know that we have to have something modest for church sites. However, I am having a hard time finding clothing that is modest and don't like the style of a shawl. I finally found something that is long sleeved but kind of sheer so that it won't be so hot in these summer months.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: modest dress--can i wear sheer?

You don't need long sleeves. Simply wear a blouse that is not provocative or low cut and that does have sleeves, ideally to the elbow. Make sure your knees are also covered.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: modest dress--can i wear sheer?

Short sleeves are fine. Knees and midriffs should be covered, elbows can be bare.

Some Russian churches don't like women in pants, but they will provide a wrap-around skirt for your visit. I have seen men turned away from the Armenian church in the Old City because they were wearing shorts.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: modest dress--can i wear sheer?

You can definitely wear short sleeves and just use the shawl in the churches. Fashion doesn't really count and personally, I find long sleeves in the heat quite unbearable. If you need a skirt in a location, almost every church will provide one if your shorts aren't quite long enough or they require skirts over pants.

This has never been a problem for me touring Jerusalem and I am a t-shirt and shorts kind of person. I have a light shawl in my bag and wear longer shorts. I use the skirt provided if necessary.

When attending Shabbat services in a synagogue or at the Wall I always wear a skirt but for touring, I don't.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,737 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: modest dress--can i wear sheer?

Keep a shawl with you in any case, so you won't be denied entrance to a particular site - of any religion - as each has its osn criteria regarding modesty.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: modest dress--can i wear sheer?

As has already been noted, you don't need long sleeves. However, I would not rely on longer sleeves that are sheer - you never know exactly what reaction you will get and it would be a shame to have to skip a site for that reason.

As Anne said - this is not a fashion issue and carrying a light shawl or wrap with you will solve your problem - use it when entering a religious site, then stuff it into your bag.

6. Re: modest dress--can i wear sheer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:16