We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

What is the best way to see the holy sites in Jerusalem? Is walking on your own, taking a taxi (to the furthest sites), going on the tourist bus, or going with a tour group advisable? Is Sandeman's free tour or any guided tour worth it? We will only have 1-1 1/2 days in the city. We want to get as much as possible out of the city but we are budget travelers. We want to see sites such as:

-Via Dolorosa

- Church of Holy Sepulcher

-Western Wailing Wall

-Church of Saint Anne

-Israel Museum of Jerusalem

-Garden of Gethsemene

-The temple mount

-The Upper Room

-Mt of Olives

-The Church of Dominus Flavous

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

The Free walking tour is a great overview of the OLD City. It does not go to the Temple Mount. It crosses a section of the Via Doloroso but as it is a general tour you are not stopping and appreciating it, as you might want to from a Christian POV. The Christian sites which are NOT in the Old City are also not part of it.

You may want to look at the paid tours by Sandeman and Ziion Walking Tours and see which cover your wish list the most.

The Israel Museum is located in the New City and you can visit on your own.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

Okay. Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it and will keep researching.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

Hi there I spent a couple of days In Jerusalem earlier this year and can certainly recommend Sandeman. I did three tours with them. Firstly the free tour which leaves from the jaffa gate every morning at 9am - you dont need to book just turn up and look for the bright red t shirt clad guides and the sign for the free tours. The free one basically takes you round the 4 quarters of the old city. On the same day and starting at 11 i did the holy city tour. This also takes you round the old city but in much more details and includes the temple mount. The tour is approx four hours. Lastly I did the mount of olives tour which was also excellent. This tour starts at 14.30 but not everyday. They both cost 75 nis and the free tour is usually tip dependent but no one minded as it was excellent. We had natanel for both the holy city and mount of olives and he was amazing. I can recommend these tours. Its a great way to not only see J-m but to get loads of info as well. You will also get to see most of the places you mention above. Not the Israel Museum but that is huge and could easily take up a good half day if not longer. You will get a lot out of the sandeman tours especailly as your time is so limited

have a great time'

angie

www.angietravels.com

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

Thank you! I am researching Sandeman's Tours right now to see if they fit our needs. I appreciate the info!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

While you are on a budget, time is money. Taking several small tours which have no connection between them may take you to some of the sites. However, due to your limited time I highly recommend taking a private tour for one full day which can cover most if not all of the sites you mentioned in your post. Yes, it's expensive, but you will see everything you want. The half day can be spent at the Israel Museum on your own with an audio guide.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 21 June 2012, 18:26
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

As you research tours--check out Zion Walking tours. They have been around for ages, and since they are not getting the publicity that Sandeman's get, their tours are more likely to be a smaller number of people.

7. Re: Way to see holy sites-Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:42