We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm here in jerusalem.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
I'm here in jerusalem.

Just got here yesterday, saturday, when everything is still closed.

Was scouting for food near my hotel, when this man in his 50s called out. I told him i was looking for food, then he said, "follow me" I was cautious but truly it seemed alright. Then he brought me to this 24hr grocery store, smoked outside while I was shopping. Then I asked if there's any food near Jaffa Gate area, thinking maybe some restaurants in Mamila mall was opened. He offered to take me with his car, I said "No, No" politely. In the end, I thanked him & walked back.

Then later in the evening, while I was out again, there's this man, again like in his late 50s, said "Hi" I ignored, and he sounded pissed. We didn't make any eye contact at all. He made this noise, like a very long "tsk". And I thought maybe I was rude. Was I really rude? Should I have just said "hi" back? Honestly there are like 3 men that called out to me yesterday. Maybe cause I'm asian, i stick out like some cactus in the desert, but is this normal?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

Welcome to Israel and the Holy Land experience.

Sounds like an over enthusiastic person. In general Israelis are helpful but in this case you acted correctly in ignoring him as you have used common sense. Today is a fasting day and while business is usual in most places some businesses may have limited hours including some kosher restaurants

Chana

Israel

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

As Chana said today is a fasting day and last night all restaurants and entertainment places were closed. Jerusalem is is not that closed on regular Saturdays. As for the men that approached you - you acted wisely. Better safe than sorry.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
651 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

Spot on Chana and Shoshi. Xsh88 in life trust your natural instincts. If it is not safe, just walk away and don't bother. Never put yourself in a unsafe situation.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

You came on an interesting intersection of days. Today is a fast ( as already said) and restaurants won't be open until the afternoon. There are usually restaurants open in the old city BUT some of them may be closed due to Ramadan. Your hotel will always have food irregardless of what day it is!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

I (also female) would certainly not respond to a strange man who says "hi" in the street or offers to drive you somewhere. Let him feel pissed and think you are rude. So what? You weren't rude. He was. As the others have said, better safe than sorry.

I like "stick out like some cactus in the desert". Is that a Singapore expression?

UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

better to ask the people in your hotel for places to go to eat - enjoy your trip to this amazing city and please let us know what you think of the places you are seeing ;)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

"stick out like a cactus in the desert" is not a Singaporean thing, lol it's something I just thought of. This place is awesome. Went to Akko, Haifa yesterday. Going through customs was as easy as ABC, without anyone stopping me.

Definitely will ignore strange men calling out again. Honestly, I was quite scared when he made that noise, cuz he stopped in his tracks & I could feel his glare & I thought he was going to drag me away, but I just quickly walked into a minimart.

I havent really take the public transport yet, have been walking, & walking.. Perhaps tomorrow when I'm going Israel museum. By the way, how do I get to there?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

Best way is by taxi, especially in this heat.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

If you to not want to spend $$ on a taxi you can go by bus. Where are you staying?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm here in jerusalem.

I'm staying at Abraham hostel. Was thinking of walking to central bus station (just following the tram line right?) then find out which bus goes there.