We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Israel Road Map

San Diego...
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Israel Road Map

I just ordered the Street Wise Jerusalem fold out laminated map, but that was the only map I could find on Amazon that was rated well. Are there other good road/driving maps of the Galilee area ( also showing parks/ tourist locations) and Israel highways as we are driving to Masada/Dead Sea/En Gedi also.

Thank you,

Ana

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
670 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

I have personally found Google Maps Israel and Carta Israel Road Atlas to be really good.

You can buy the "Carta Israel Road Atlas" map from their online store. They can ship it by EMS Express Post. We got it within 5 days in Australia. The web address is

bible-books-maps.com/Road-Maps-Guides/Israel…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
670 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

I forgot to mention that the Carta Israel Road Atlas does show maps of the Galilee area ( also showing parks/ tourist locations) and Israel highways driving to Masada/Dead Sea/En Gedi etc.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

As said, google maps is a great resource. Personally, I like the MAPA brand map of Israel better than Carta but both are good. You will also get a map with your rental vehicle--Generally speaking you need google maps for maps within cities.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

We used the free Avis maps and the free maps from the International Youth hostels for driving between cities. For inside the cities we used the GPS (Garmain). Most hotels and hostels actually have useful maps of within the cities too.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

Thank you very much! Just for clarification, what is Google Maps Israel ?( from post#1) . Is that GPS for Israel or using a smart phone that has Google Map for Israel?

~Ana

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

You can pick up a Carta road atlas with detailed maps of each city and interchange at any Steimatsky bookstore (a ubiquitous Israeli bookseller).

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

Following advice on here I bought the mapa map. On the front it says "all the roads/towns/junctions/sites". Ironically it doesn't actually name the place I'm going to! Maybe I should have checked but with a claim like that!

On reflection I wouldn't have bought it as I have an iPad and the car hire were giving out maps.

Edited: 01 August 2012, 07:17
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
670 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

This is the link to Google Maps Israel

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enAU495&q=google+maps+Israel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x1500492432a7c98b:0x6a6b422013352cba,Israel&gl=au&sa=X&ei=Z9EYUMv9HKPYigeq9ID4BA&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

You can search for street name, name of places and find its location.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
670 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

For those people who do not like to buy stuff online, you can also get Carta Maps Israel from Jerusalem.

You can buy Carta books at their offices in Jerusalem, 18 Ha'Uman Street, Talpiyot (sunday to thursday 8am - 4.30 pm) and also in steimatzky book stores.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Israel Road Map

Both Carta and Mapa are usually available at the Steinmatsky bookshop. There is one at the airport. ( as soon as you are in the open arrivals area--turn right!)

http://maps.google.com/

just put in the Israeli location and it will automatically go there. It will also give directions. Be wary of times however since the times are for the moment you are asking for directions--so if it happens to be 2AM here in Israel and the roads are empty you will get a shorter time than the reality of 9AM on a workday morning!