We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to know about Mea Shearim

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I want to know about Mea Shearim

I'm interested in exploring Mea'shearim. Get the picture and the kind of atmosphere it will be....That's the beauty of that neighbourhood isn't it?

Anyway, I watch a documentary on Anti-zionist community, Neturei Karta who lives here. Yoel is the man in-charge of this movement. Is it possible to meet up with him? There other is Israel from a more Liberal Hassidic community. Can we meet up with them to find out more about the Anti-zionist stuff and what they load up on the pashkavil?

Close knitted community but does anyone have loop holes to meet up with Yoel or Israel. - I'm not a journalist or a reporter. Just curious to find how the community functions.

Please help. Thank you.

Hadassah

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

you're going to need an in, they may not speak to you anyway being a women

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

I think this is not realistic and appropriate.

These communities self-define as insular. The residents and leaders generally do not wish to speak to outsiders, particularly non-Jews, about their ways. And they hate to be "fish-bowled," i.e., treated as a tourist attraction by curious outsiders.

I have been to Jerusalem 11 times and have never set foot in Mea She'arim, with the exception of one time when I got lost and drove on the fringes. I do that out of respect for this community's desire to be left alone.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,824 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

The communities you are referring to - the Neturei Karta are notoriously closed and do not welcome outsiders under any circumstance. The odds of your getting to speak to anyone in that community, let alone the leaders is about zero.

Not only that - the communities living in Mea Shearim are not welcoming of tourists or any outsiders. I would not recommend touring there.

Personally, I will not take tourists there at all - if you want to visit some unltra-Orthodox neighborhoods, there are other options, including the possibility of meeting with some of the people and talking to them - however, the community you are asking about is not really an option.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

As a closed community it may be difficult to actually meet the people, especially those who are 'famous'. While there is the possibility to arrange a meeting with someone in the neighborhood, chances are that you will not have a common language.

You can walk in the neighborhood and visit the shops as long as you are dressed very modestly in a long skirt, long sleeves, high cut blouse and a hat; respect the residents space and don't be surprised if an insult is sent your way(doesn't always happen but might).

I might like to suggest visiting the Geula neighborhood for people watching and perhaps also speaking to the people, as there is more of a chance this would occur there over Mea Shearim

Chana

Israel

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

Hi guys,

Thank you guys for the valuable insight information on Mea shearim.

I will just walk around the neighbourshood (very modestly dressed) just to get a feel of how Mea' shearim is like since I've heard so much about it. Definately keeping an opening mind if someone where to hurl insults such as 'goy' at me. I guess it helps when you are mentally prepared for such negative reactions from the residents. The whole idea of visiting the neighbourhood is not actually to view Mea shearim as a tourist attraction. I am genuinely interested in gaining knowledge about the secular and non-secular community in Jerusalem.

Chana, do you know where the Geula neighbourhood is? That's sounds nice. The possibility of mingling with people from the Orthodox community sounds interesting. Also, any idea on where the majority of Cochin Jewish people reside?

Thanks alot!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

Geula is also one of the northern neighborhoods, before Mea Shearim when coming from the north. It's not too far from the CBS or you can a bus (31).

Cochin Jewry live in several settlements throughout the country. I'm not aware of a specific neighborhood in one of the large cities which have a large concentration from this area of India.

Chana

UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

actually could be more than just insults - dont think its sensible for tourists to visit mea shearim, period!

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

biznet - you might want to clarify what you mean. Are you saying that a non-resident might be assaulted?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

Have you been to Mea Shearim, biznet ? Please tell us about your personal experiences there.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I want to know about Mea Shearim

Biznet must be refering to the stories about acid, bleach or just plain old "sponja" water being thrown at immodestly dressed women especailly tourists, while this is an extremely rare occurance, it can and does happen

keep in mind your idea of modest may not be theirs

The overwhelming majority of residents are extremely friendly and accomadating which is why i said get an "in" find someone who lives there and can guide you

My cousin was a big shot in the "Eida" and while we agreed to disagree in some issues. we were always welcome to go visit, eat shabbat meals etc.

If you are jewish, they look at it as an opportunity to maybe bring you closer to what they consider authentic Judiasm etc.

There are many different groups in Mea Shearim that all dislike the state of Israel but have completely different viewpoints and beliefs and don't particularly join together

1- The Eida Charedis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edah_HaChareidis

2-Neturei Karta

3- Sicarii

4-Satmar (for the most part part of the "eida")

5-Toldos Ahron and toldos avrom yitzchok

etc.

The Sicarii are a fringe group that are really the only ones that you have to be afraid of per se and are basically bored young adults with to much time on their hands and lots of anger issues

I don't know if anyone is too sure where Yoeli Krauss fits in, the media paints him as being a honcho in the eidah, my understanding is the real heads shun him