We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first visit

dublin
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
first visit

family visit to israel need help planning eldery parent wish fly to tel aviv stay 2 full days rent car drive to jerusalem 4 full days returu to tel aviv fly home can you advise me on driving in israel and recommend whre to visit when in jerusalem please

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,100 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first visit

You don't need a car in Jerusalem. The car will make your life miserable with traffic and small one way streets.

Tell us what you want to see, you religion if you are interested in sites pertaining to your religion, etc... amd will advise you.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first visit

Inasmuch as the term elderly is subjective, can you share how old the person really is.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first visit

And how many people (and their ages) are coming on this "family visit" in addition to the "elderly" person?

UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first visit

hey your gonna love israel especially jerusalem :) as already said best not to drive in jerusalem it will drive you up the wall! but ok to drive other places - plenty of sites to see in jerusalem many in the old city like church of holy sep, western wall, temple mount etc and outside of old city the vad vashem(holocaust memorial), city of david etc - also if you read a recent trip report by ziggy you will read of lots of fun eating in israel and a camel warning :)

have a great trip!!

Baltimore
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first visit

I am trying to put together an itinerary for a 12 day trip the end of June. Without going into specifics, we are thinking about starting in Tel Aviv for about 2 days, renting a car and heading north, possibly seeing Caesarea, visiting a friend in the Golan, taking in a winery, Safed and Tiberias. Then heading back down to Ashkelon for a short visit followed by a hike up Masada, relax at Ein Gedi and then end the trip for the remainder and majority of the time in Jerusalem. We would also like to be in Jerusalem over Shabbat. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,924 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first visit

Lkg54:

My first suggestion is that you copy your question to a new thread ( click on "ask a question") and delete your post from this one. We now have questions about two tours on this thread and it will be confusing as to which tour any advice is intended. This is not fair to the man from Dubin who posted the original question.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,362 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first visit

Ditto to what Mbgg said and I am not going to respond since I refuse to contribute to the confusion of to whom am I responding.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first visit

Dublin, as stated a car in Jerusalem is a liability. For instance you must park at Jaffa Gate to visit the Old City. If the eldery relative cannot walk far but would like to visit the the Western Wall they can only get there by taxi as there is no parking near the Wall. Then you would need a taxi to return to the car. There are many other instances that parking would need to be distant from a site that a taxi could easily transport you to.

Chana

Israel

Baltimore
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first visit

Sorry..I mistakenly posted this in the wrong place.

10. Re: first visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 10:18