We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Airport to Hotel

the wirral
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
getting from Airport to Hotel

would appreciate any help, trip out to jerusalem in fortnight, and seems to be lots of opinion on getting from airport to Alcazar Hotel. was originally thinking train to jerusalem and then cab. anyone got a better suggestion?

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

Sherut direct, make sure they will take you to East Jerusalem

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

Sherut is the best way to go - the sherut is a 10 person shared taxi van - cost is approx $15 per person. It will leave as soon as it is full. Since your hotel is in East Jerusalem, please check with the driver to make sure he will take you directly to the hotel.

Train is not practical, neither is any other public transportation. The only other option is a private taxi.

If the sherut will not go to the hotel, it still may be your best choice to have the sherut drop you off at the Damascus Gate or the Jaffa Gate of the Old City and from there take a taxi to the hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

The helpful replies indicate a sherut may not be willing to go to East Jerusalem. I understand East Jerusalem is primarily Arabic, but why would the shared van driver possibly not go there? Are there safety concerns? I'm thinking about staying at the National Hotel and have gathered that it is perfectly safe, even for solo travelers.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

Depending upon the atmosphere at the moment sometimes the sherut--which is an Israeli company is not necessarily welcome in Arab East Jerusalem. Israeli vehicles, have, on occasion, become targets for rocks. That is why you need to ask. The situation is not the same for individuals, but as a single female, I personally would not be comfortable BUT many, many many are comfortable and I am NOT telling you not to stay there.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

There are no safety concerns with regard to East Jerusalem. I have never heard - here or anywhere else - of Nesher shuttle drivers not wanting to go to East Jerusalem. That's not to say there may not be some drivers who would rather not, but it doesn't appear to be a matter of policy that they won't go there. There are many hotels in East Jerusalem used by tourists, and I'm sure that if anyone had tried to take the Nesher shuttle there and was refused, we would have heard about it.

The Alcazar hotel is only a short distance from the Damascus Gate - any driver will drop you there even if he doesn't want to go the short extra distance to the Alcazar - and you could certainly get a taxi from there, which wouldn't cost much.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

I have been on the Nesher Sherut to Jerusalem several times when passengers going to East Jerusalem hotels were not taken there. The driver would get a taxi for them at the Damascus Gate and they would go by taxi from there.

This has been the case for years.

the wirral
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

thanks to everyone for your help. sherut wins by a nose!

8. Re: getting from Airport to Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 10:17