We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Trip to Israel

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Cheap Trip to Israel

I have cheap tickets to Israel from Brooklyn, and I'm wondering what places you would recommend seeing or staying in that aren't really expensive. I want to keep the trip as low budget as possible, but still feel safe and have a good time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! =)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

Cheap, good lodging in Israel is something of an oxymoron, but I would look at hostels through the Israel Youth Hostel Association (www.iyha.org.il). These are not like youth hostels in the US, but more like what we would call budget motels. Also, church-affiliated pilgrim hospices (nothing to do with health issues) can be good alternatives.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

You need to give us more information. When? (What time of year?) For how long? What are your interests? Religion (which one?), history (which period?), architecture, nightlife, scenery, hiking, food, archeology...

Would you be travelling by public transport or renting a car? Of course renting a car - if that's an option - is more expensive than using public transport, but it gives you much greater flexibility.

And what's "not really expensive" in figures?

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

Thanks! I'll definitely look into the youth hostels.

My interests would primarily be religion and scenery, but I'd be open to exploring anywhere.

I'm leaving on November 1st and staying for a month. I'd prefer to use public transportation.

As far as money goes, I'd like to spend under $2500 if possible.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

$2500 divided by 30 days comes to less than $85 a day for food, lodging, transportation and admissions. It is not happening. Israel is not a 3rd world nation. The same way it could not be done in NYC, it can not be done in Israel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,939 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your budget will barely go far enough to cover only budget accommodations, you will still need a budget for food, transport, admission fees, etc. If all you can swing is $2500 for a month this won't work - unless you are lucky enough to know people who will put you up, go "couch surfing" etc.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

I will admit that I grinned very broadly at the mere thought of a "cheap" trip to Israel. If the poster has cheap airfare already secured that is great.....how'd you score that? I am envious. I am planning for early March next year and it looks like I will pay over $1600 for mine.

Your budget is far too low (are you sharing lodging with someone?)...I will have a roommate and our lodging costs for "moderate" hotels in two places andan apartment in Jerusalem (15 nights total) will be just over $2400 which we'll each pay half. Lodging in Israel is overall expensive. You will have to have considerably more money than you have budgeted.

I've said many times that it would be super if Motel 6 were to build hotels in Israel. Hubby and I will stay in the lovely Smoky Mountains next month for $29.99 a night.

I hope you will let us know how your plans come together.

Kathy

Paragon, Indiana, USA

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

Kathy--the cost of living in Israel compared to the Smoky Mountains is like night and day.

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

If they stayed in a cheap end hostel for $18 a night and stuck to public transport it might be do-able....

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,939 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

You can check out the Abraham Hostel in Jerusalem - the dorm rooms there fit the range of $18 a night - but with a month's visit I am hoping that the OP will travel around the country and he will not find prices like this all over.

Then again if the idea of sharing a room with people you don't know doesn't appeal to you then there really is no answer that will fit your budget.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Trip to Israel

IF there was an $18 a night hostel and it was safe. Normal hostels run between $35-50 per night per person in a double occupancy room. There are some dorm type hostels where a bed for the night is as low as 80 shekels but you share a bathroom, don't know if what you leave in the room is safe and some are not in the greatest condition.

Regarding transportation figure an average of $10-15 per day if you plan on travelling outside the cities and $5 per day if only within the city. Entrance fees figure an average of $7-10 per day unless you plan only going to free sites and meals at an average of $20 per day.

Without lodging uou will need a minimum of $1500 to travel and visit sites and a bare minimum of $1000 for lodgings consisting of a bed in a hostel. These prices do not include more than two small meals a day, tips, souvenirs, telephone calls, internet access or taxis to out of the way places like churches in the Galilee. You may need to rethink your budget upwards by at least $1000.

Chana

Israel

Get answers to your questions about Jerusalem