We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in israel in december

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
266 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
weather in israel in december

we are going to Israel and then Jordan, starting on December 14th---here is my question:

Will I need a winter coat, or would something like a fall coat or raincoat be enough??

When I say winter coat, I am not referring to something for a blizzard!!!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in israel in december

It might rain and it can be bright and sunny, a winter coat is fine as it can be cold in Safed, the north and in Jerusalem.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
266 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in israel in december

thank you--i guess i will take winter and also a light raincoat

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in israel in december

Good idea. It is not cold on the coast.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in israel in december

You won't need a parka, even in the colder places. Layering and fleece are the way to go. I have eaten outside in restaurants in December in short sleeves in Jerusalem while Israelis around me were wearing parkas. Coming from Baltimore, you might find it chilly but not that cold.

Extra shoes are a good idea in the winter because when it rains, the water really collects and you will undoubtably get wet feet. Then you could really get cold.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,620 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in israel in december

If you are going to Petra a winter coat may be useful as it at a higher elevation than Jerusalem and may be in the 30's and even snow(but then again it may not be). I agree that a Parka is never necessary in Israel, but it can be chilly and rainy so bring layers to peel off in case it warms up during the day (can also be in the 80's).

Chana

Israel

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
266 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in israel in december

good suggestions--thank you

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in israel in december

I have been going winters to Israel since 1992. Originally for 10 days and now for 3 months. I take the winter coat I use to get to the airport ( down, Land's End) and I keep a short coat with a zip out lining in Israel. There have been many years that I have used my winter coat in Jerusalem and been very glad for it As a tourist you are outside more than in on some days and the cold does get to you. Other years--I was able to go no coat in Jerusalem.

My point is, you have your winter coat anyway. You need it to leave home. Take it with you. It is not a big deal to carry and you will be forever grateful if it turns out be a cold year.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
266 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in israel in december

perfect and very very helpful answer//

i think that whatever coat i take--i will make sure it has a hood because i know it could also rain alot

nice that you are able to stay for three months

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in israel in december

You are welcome, I forgot to add--bring a pair of shoes that will handle walking in rain--sneakers with a thick sole may work. ( totes that go over your shoes?) Even if it only rains a few hours, once your feet are wet--you are miserable.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
266 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in israel in december

people who know me would laugh at this advice!!!

i dont even own such things!!!

but i guess i better go shoe shopping--again thank you