We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Leaving on a trip tomorrow for Israel. Is it still safe to travel?

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

I live in Israel and am not cancelling any plans. Nobody can say what will happen tomorrow, never mind next week, but the general mood here is not one of panic.

The places within rocket range of Gaza are not on the usual tourist trail, so if you stay away from there you'll be fine. One rocket apparently landed in the sea off Tel Aviv, but that's not the same as an incessant barrage.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Shuffaluff....it's me! The woman you talked to a month ago. Thanks so much for writing back. I was hoping I would hear from you!

I appreciate the guidance. Travelling to Biblical north, Dead Sea/ Massada, and Bethlehem. Any trips I shouldn't take?

Is there a way to send a private message to you via Trip Advisor? I think we did this before.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

To send a private message, click on my user name under the picture, and follow on from there.

All the places you mention are well out of range of rockets. Of course, nobody can foresee what might happen in the next few days. By the middle of next week, or even tomorrow, it could - we sincerely hope - all be history.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,725 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

You should not have any problems with your visit. You may want to inquire at the hotel desk each morning to be sure there are not issues with traveling to the area you plan on that day. In general as Shuffaluff wrote, the areas you mentioned are out of range of the rockets being shot today.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
nj
Level Contributor
330 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

WAtching the news I wanted to see how the forums were doing. I have not been back to Israel since 2009, but I do remember my first few times (in the 70's yes I am old:) that there were times when things were heating up, and for sure you do sense it, but life goes on. It does seem to me that things are more intense than I remember, but I think you got good advice here. Life goes on and you may have to adjust a tour or two, but you will see astounding hospitality and have a great ((memorable)) trip. Please let us know and keep us updated..

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

I am supposed to leave for Israel next week. Aren't any of the locals more concerned after rockets landed near tel Aviv? Understand still out of range for Jerusalem ( and much of Israel). I am not suggesting panic but trying to get unbiased advice. Are any of you in a hurry to travel to Amman? America has had its share of protests and I wasn't running to to those cities. Anyone have travel plans to Kandahar? Again, just asking questions. I think for most of us if offered a last minute opportunity to visit right now most would not go but issue is have already paid for tickets, tours, hotels, etc. As of this moment,i have not cancelled my plans but next few days will influence if my family gets on a plane. I admire Israeli courage and pray this ends. But this is not about politics but rather the advice you would give your own family. Not asking for you to read tea leaves, just your opinion based upon what you know right now. Praying for a peaceful Shabbat.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
United States
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Neslaw1..."locals" pretty much have to stay and be there and are very used to this kind of event. Most will tell you all is fine...same with tour operators. To me this situation looks a bit different than in the past in that no one knows what Egypt's new government will do and it does seem that the government of Israel has had enough...so all you can do is watch the news and if things get much worse hopefully the airlines etc. would be cooperative. For me the air raid sirens in Tel Aviv would not be desirable when I am on vacation. In the end no one can tell you "it will be fine" you will have to decide. Good luck and I hope this all resolves peacefully.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

Over the past hour sirens sounded in Jerusalem and there were two dull explosions. Apparently two rockets fell outside the city, no reported injuries or damage.

Without turning the forum into a news room, I just wanted to mention this, which underscores that none of us exactly knows what will or won't happen.

As someone who lives in Israel, I feel safe and can evaluate this threat against past experiences. I know that such periods of conflict are likely to be fairly short lived, so when people talk of their plans for February or April I feel fairly confident in suggesting they go ahead. To try to answer neslaw's question directly: if I had a friend arriving tomorrow, I would welcome them and make sure we go to places I consider very safe, even if not totally. But I would not criticize anyone who decided to postpone a visit. And you're right that there's a world of difference between how people react to a threat in their home and how they make their vacation decisions.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

At least just by what I gather from reading the news, I wouldn't be the least worried to go to Israel right now. I wouldn't book a whole week in Ashdod, but it seems obvious from the news that the rockets fired from Gaza still have more or less no guidance. If hundreds of rockets have been fired whereof just about a third shot down by Iron Dome, it's telling that there aren't more victims. It's a long term problem for Israel that the rocket range is increasing slowly but steadily for each time something happens, but as a tourist I would consider the risk as minimal. There's still a greater risk something happens to you at home if you live in a big city in the US or Europe, for example. Violent crime in the Middle East generally is a non-issue compared to "in the west".

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Israel?

thanks for comments. I agree this is not a newsroom but sometimes the news does relate to travel and this is certainly one of those circumstances. Obviously, this is a very fluid situation especially with the news about Jerusalem from the past couple of hours. I appreciate that this is available as one more source of information.