We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour to Karak Castle

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Day tour to Karak Castle

Does anyone know if there is a day tour to Karak Castle and surrounding areas from Jerusalem or only from Jordan?

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

I don't know anything about Karak Castle, but the chances of there being a day tour from Jerusalem are just about zero. It means crossing the border twice, at a crossing with frequent long delays in each direction. I can't imagine that any company would offer such an option.

Add to that the fact that it appears to be around 100km from Jerusalem on a very winding road (as I have now learnt, having looked it up), the answer would have to be no, no tours to Karak from Jerusalem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,753 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

Well, glad I was not the only one who never heard of Karak Castle. It seems to me that it would make more sense to go to Jordan and find out about day tours from someplace near the border. Post your question on the Jordanian forum.

btw there are plenty of Crusader ruins in israel. --not the same, but in the same place you will be.

Lincoln, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

Okay thanks for that. Glad you looked up the castle, that means one more person knows about it :-)

Lincoln, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

Although it's not in Israel I'm surprised by the number of people who haven't heard of it. It's one of the most important Crusader castles (in terms of remains anyway)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

You have lots of options to tour fascinating Crusader ruins (Akko and Belvoir among them) within Israel. I'd save the other for a visit to Jordan.

One of my disappointments is that the Horns of Hittin (Karnei Hittin) have not been more developed as an historic site.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

Sime if the three day tours of Jordan departing from Beit Shean include this site. But I'm with Labbatt on this one, visit one if the many Crusader sites in Israel including Apollonia, Zfat and Nimrod (identified ad Mamluke but very well preserved and with Crusader aspects) castles.

Chana

Israel

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

Karak is unique and in a far better state of preservation than anything in Israel (Moslems took it over for their own use after it fell). It is on the Old King's Highway that you can read about Moses and the Children of Israel traveling on it during their wanderings (Numbers 20:17).

It is often visited when traveling from Madaba or Amman to Petra, being about half way. You can work your way through it in an hour, but if your really interested I'd plan for two.

There is no quick way to visit it from Israel. I would make my way to Madaba and stay at/contact the Marian Hotel. They can arrange a driver at a very fair rate and the trip would take most if a day. I would also stop and see Machaerus (the fortress where John the Baptist was executed). It is along the way and an amazing place to visit.

Of course, this takes the better part of three days, but you could also see the Madaba map on day one and visit the John the Baptist baptismal site on the way to the border crossing on day three.

Lincoln, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

Okay, thanks everyone for your help and some good historical information there. I agree with Labatt though that the Battle of Hattin site should be given greater importance, I would put that battle up there with one of the main battles that have changed the history of the world. Perhaps they don't because it would create too much tension????

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

The Horns of Hattin is only a battlefield; there is nothing there except for the two little hills. How many of the famous battlefields in Britain have been "developed"? Anyway, if possible "tension" was a primary consideration here then most of the tourist sites would not exist :-)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day tour to Karak Castle

Actually, mbgg, the United States is full of battlefields of the American Civil War that are developed, are brilliantly curated, and are easily accessible to visitors with interpretative materials. The Battle of Hittin is easily one of the top five or ten most consequential, history-changing battles in the history of Western civilization. It really makes no sense that there is nothing there. The point isn't what is there physically. The point is the enormity of what occurred there, and the fact that the site is completely ignored -- that's inexplicable to me.

Douglas Duckett