We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

Are there car rental companies in Jerusalem which will allow the car to be driven in the West Bank and if so can you suggest one?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

Yes, in East Jerusalem there are companies that have insurance that covers both Israel and the PA areas. I haven't used them so can't make personal recommendations.

Middle East Car Rental and Leasing mecarrental.com is one.

Dallah Rent A Car http://www.dallahrentacar.com/. The website is REALLY annoying, better to call them 02-6279725

Also Green Peace Renta a Car http://www.greenpeace.co.il/

All three of these companies have been recommended by users on tripadvisor over the years.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,970 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

The West Bank is a large term and not specific enough. ALL car rental companies allow their cars to be driven into the parts of the West Bank that are under Israeli control. They are NOT allowed to be driven into places that are under Palestinian Authority control. Cities like Bethlehem, Ramallah, Jericho, Jenin, Kalkiya, Tul Karem and some more small places are all under PA control. There are a few small agencies owned by Arabs in East Jerusalem that carry the necessary insurance to visit both these cities and tour the rest of the Israel and the West Bank. I am sorry I do not know their names, but if you search you should be able to find them.

BTW if you are renting a car for travel up North I would urge you to split your rental and use a regular Israeli company to go North. I do not wish you ( or anyone else) any car problems, but the East Jerusalem agencies are small and you are better off with a larger company in areas they serve.

Edited to add:

Ahh anmejoshme and I were posting at the same time and I see she has names. Good!

Edited: 05 January 2013, 16:45
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

Thanks anmejoshme Ill look into those.

Sorry rdglady, I will be more specific. Im looking for a car rental company in Jerusalem which allows the car to be driven into the West Bank areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority such as Bethlehem and Jericho. Im looking to rent only for a day to visit the West Bank from Jerusalem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,970 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

Then go with what anmejoshme recommended. Major Israeli companies do NOT have the insurance to go to PA areas!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

anmejoshme you are right the Dallah website is annoying!

The mecarrental websitei is not in english and I cant find the button that changes it...the UK flag does nothing.

GreenPeace look okay though!

Has anyone heard of Good Luck cars?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

Yes, I've seen cars around Jerusalem with Good Luck stickers.

Yet another company that seems pretty big by the number of cars I see around is Petra. Try to call them on 02-5820716.

Unless I'm mistaken, we've never had a report back of use of one of these companies. If you do use them, let us know how it works out as it could help many other visitors.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

... and see this link and phone number for Middle East Car Rental:

www.englishpal.ps/index.php…

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

I had a guide rent a car for a day trip in the west bank earlier this year. With gas, the cost was close to $100. You might find that you could hire a car and driver for not a whole lot more money. Navigating the checkpoints and roads is a little Byzantine, so any extra cost would be well worth it.

And if all you want to do is visit Bethlehem and Jericho, save yourself the extra hassle and just use taxis.

Wien
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

I used Green Peace, and I will NOT do it again!

I asked Green Peace for an offer for 2 days, including insurance and airport surcharge, as I wanted to pick-up and drop-off the car at the Gurion airport. Their offer stated 70$ per day car rental and they asked me to pay the driver in cash 80$ airport surcharge. After paying the driver the 80$ in cash, dropping off the car at the airport and returning home, I noticed that they charged my credit card 80$ airport surcharge a second time.

They refuse to rebate the 80$, arguing that the airport surcharge applies twice, ie. 80$ for the pick-up and 80$ for the drop-off - which they never mentioned before. Unacceptable!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental with insurance for West Bank

Sorry you had such an unfortunate experience. Most companies charge about $25 fot the airport surcharge, and yes it can apply to both ends. Unfortunately the daily rate you paid is also high. Have you tried to dispute the charge with your credit card company?