We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

Hello all

Has anyone done this tour in summer?

I’m trying to decide between the 7am and the 4am sunrise tour on a Sat in June so it will be very hot up there. I dont mind the walk up as it should be cool then. I guess we will be there before the park fills with tourists which will also be a bonus. I guess there will be someone there to pay something at the entrance, I cant imagine us walking up and getting in for free. Will the audio be available for our self guided tour that early? Comments welcome while I keep looking

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

The Abraham Hostel offers transportation and not a tour guide. You can do either the 4am or 7am tour. It will definitely be cooler at 4am. When you go up, there will be someone to take your money. Lots and lots of people do the sunrise walk up. Likely, there will be more people up top at 6am then there will be at 1:00pm. The audio guides aren't available until the cable car opens at 8am. Last August I was up top between 11am and 2pm. There were exactly 8 other people up top and we all took the same cable car down. It was 45 degrees and the drinking water tanks up top were empty. It was really, really hot and you had to drink a lot in the direct sun, heat and dryness of the desert air.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

I did it at the end of June last year. You arrive at Masada at 08.00am and I took the first cable car up. The majority of people took the snake path up (I have a sore foot) however some were unable to take the snake path back down again (about 11am) as a child had collapsed on the path and the authorities closed it. It was not too hot when I arrived but very hot at 11am.

Take lots of water ,my understanding from others was the child didn't like water and was drinking coke instead this was the reason he/she collapsed.

At 08.00am there were a few people at the top and one small tour group. However, there was a queue for the cable car at 08.00am so many more people arriving. It never got particularly crowded at the top.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,856 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

I was there last September. We took the cable car at 0900 or so. It was hot but bearable as there was a nice breeze at the top. It was a Saturday and there were no groups at that time. On coming back (1100 or so) the groups started coming and it was getting crowded. We brought our own water. The breeze was a life-saver.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

I was there last August with a friend from the US. We went up at around 11AM. It was hot but we had hats, drank lots of water and refilled from the water available on the top. It is a dry heat, so not as bad as one would imagine. However, as others said you need to drink and drink and drink and ......

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

I have been up top at 5:30am or so and there were lots of people there. In the summer you get the birthright groups up first thing in the morning so there could be a couple of hundred people. Last time I did the sunrise climb was in March and there were easily a couple of hundred people. March is a popular time for Jewish schools to be doing tours to Israel (me included). There were more than a dozen buses on the eastern parking lot alone. Masada is a huge space, hundreds of people can be up top and it still feels relatively empty.

We walked down the snake path and there were not so many on the path, but there was a fairly long line up at the cable car.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

thank you all.

Although I wanted to do the sunrise tour I guess if the audio isnt available until after 8am then I will miss so much by walking around without some good information. So looks like it will be the 7am tour then. Also I would like to go in the museum and that may not be open until after 8am. Do you know if the museum or cable car is included in the ticket price for entry onto Masada.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

sonandsal,

Masada national park taarifs:

Entry (no cable car rides): 27 NIS

Entry + 1 ride in the cable car: 54 NIS

Entry + 2 rides in the cable car: 72 NIS

Entry to the museum is seperated (there is no bundle tickets for that) - 20 NIS.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

Well worth going to the museum.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

My husband wants to do the sunrise tour and it will be his birthday on that day so its very special for him so sunrise it will be. Do you know what time the museum opens, I do want to see that. Abraham hostel tours did tell me they allowed an extra hour at Masada for the sunrise tour but that doesnt tell me if the museum is open before they leave.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,856 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Abraham hostel tour to Masada, Ein Gede and the dead Sea

The museum opens at 0800. I suppose you'll have to visit.