We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Isreal

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Isreal

My 11 year old daughter is scheduled to go to Isreal on a trip with her aunt (not her parents) in mid-Feb. Is it safe to go at this time?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Isreal

Of course it's safe! Your daughter is set to have a wonderful time in our fascinating country.

Boca Raton
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Isreal

Thank you for replying.......... I'm just so nervous with everything I hear on the news right now. You just never know what is accurate info and what to really believe.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Isreal

I am taking a group of young teens next month. I hear parents concerns. The media here in North America is not presenting an accurate picture of what is actually happening on the ground. Davetheguide, living in Israel, may not understand the perceptions that are being presented to us in the last day or two but his response says volumes about what the situation is actually like.

I would not hesitate to let your daughter go in the next two weeks. It is a beautiful time in Israel with the trees flowering and the mild weather.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 15:02
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Isreal

Don't worry, she'll have a great trip. This is a marvelous time to visit as we have Purim holydays on 17-18 of February with many fun acivities. She can bring her Halloween costume and join in.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Isreal

Seriously????

I hear more negative news about the ongoings of guns and shootings in our OWN country than anywhere else....including Israel!!!!

Dr. Z

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Isreal

Exactly!

For any American to worry right now about safety in Israel is more than a little ironic. And I am one. I would feel about ten times safer in Israel than this country at this point.

Douglas Duckett

Boca Raton
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Isreal

You have a valid point............

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Isreal

Yesterday I read CNN.com. They had 5 different articles about Israel on the front page! (never saw that much articles on their front page). After reading the first 4 I had to "look out of the window" to make sure that I'm aware of what's going on! They just seek to make "breaking news" stories which may lead people to think Israel is a wild war zone and not a western safe and rather peaceful country. By the way, the 5th article (which was I was searching for) was lovely and you are welcome to watch:

edition.cnn.com/video/…

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Isreal

Amos, I agree that the news over here is ridiculous. My local newspaper had several articles about Israel, the airstrike in Syria, Israel's activity regarding Lebanon, Israelis 'scrambling' to get gas masks, the UN report on settlements- all casting Israel in a light that suggests (but not stating) that Israel was on the brink of war. There were no reports on the situation on the ground in Syria, Egypt, or the story of the centrifuge destruction out of Iran. The news media in North America has a very difficult time putting things in perspective and don't draw a line between reporting facts and opinions. That is one of the reasons that boards like this are so valuable. They enable people to get information from those who are in Israel, living there, going about daily affairs. From the news and media reports over the last couple of days, I completely understand why Tara B. would post her question.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Isreal

I agree that the news is ridiculous that comes out of Israel. Frequently the connection to reality is tenuous at best.

In terms of your daughter--make sure her aunt has written permission from her parents to take her out of the country. Verify with the government if it should be notarized. Also, make sure they have power to authorize medical treatment if, G-d forbid, it should be needed.