We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

Can someone kindly advise me on the best transport option from Ben Gurion International Airport (TLV) to Jerusalem. My flight into TLV is @ 05:30. I would also be grateful for estimated costs for each options. Many thanks in advance.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

Cheapest option is the shared taxi which costs 62 shekels per person but will wait to fill up so while the journey is about 45 mintues, it might be twice as long since it tours the city dropping people off. If you want to get to your destination quickly, take a private taxi - cost around 300 shekels. Both can be found immediately outside the arrival terminal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

Thanks for your informed advice. It's greatly appreciated.

My other question is, whats your views on public transport system in Jerusalem and its environs.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

Compared to London, public transport in Jerusalem is a dream. (Although it's a long time since I lived in London - where I'm from originally - and I think it's better there now than it was in my day!)

Frequent, reliable, inexpensive: for NIS 6.60 you get 90 minutes' unlimited travel on city buses and the light rail (tram). This covers the greater Jerusalem area including Mevaseret Zion, Ma'aleh Adumim and Givat Ze'ev.

Public transport doesn't run on Shabbat - Friday about two hours before sunset until Saturday after dark (precise times depend on the time of year) and on Jewish religious holidays. Details happily supplied on request. Of course I don't know whether you are Jewish or if this is all completely new to you.

How long will you be in Jerusalem? If it's for several weeks you might consider getting a Rav-Kav smartcard, not very smart though, nowhere near as good as an Oyster card. It's not worth the hassle for a short visit, though, because there are plenty of reports of problems with the cards, people putting say 10 rides on them and after using three rides the card tells them it's all used up. There is no option for PAYG with the Rav-Kav.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 17:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

Thank you very much for the very useful info provided. I'm visiting for 6 days for a tour of the Holy land. I'm hoping to visit as many holy and historic sites as much as possible. I understand some of the sites are at distance away from Jerusalem. Would you recommend visiting those sites in group of guided tour or can it be done alone. I guess moving around Jerusalem shouldnt be a problem as public transport seems to be very effecient and less expensive.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

The most important Christian sites in the Holy Land outside of Jerusalem are located in Galilee. This is a rural region poorly served by public transportation. In Jerusalem you can get by on foot or with public transport, but for Galilee you'll really want to rent a car.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

I agree with davetheguide, however I would add the you might prefer joining a guided tour group on a bus or rent a guide that has an official car, for the Galilee tour.

A guide can give you information, answer your questions and elaborate on things you might not notice during an independent visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

Thanks for advice Dave and Amos. Much appreciated.

8. Re: Transport from Tel Aviv Int'l Airport to and from Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 05:16